Win10 3d printing support and octoprint

As many of you know microsnot introduced some 3d printing support from win8 and kinda "improved it" with windows 10. I personally never tried it as I don't use win10 a lot but I'm interested to try it out.. now I don't have any printer from the supported list but I see for e.g. Prusa I3 MK2 is supported and afaik it uses standard marlin so this windows 3d printing support should be able to talk standard G-Code. Also I see there's network support with rpi so again, it should be able to talk with a printer trough network... a lot of "shoulds" and "mights" in this story :frowning: .. so here comes the question

• anyone have any experience with win10 + 3d printing (native support, not running regular slicers and sending files to octoprint or printer directly, but using those widows tools)
  • anyone have a clue how to make win10 3d printing system see octoprint as a 3d printer?
  • any plugin ?
  • any other ideas wrt this?

There's not a real need for this, I am very happy with my toolchains as they are now and my workflow as it is now, I'm just interested in what microsnot did and if it might be useful in any way (especially as there are some sw's I have on the win10 box that might be interesting to utilize, like solidworks for example that is supposed to be able to slice and print an object but only on win10)

I vaguely remember a post about this in the old google group or possibly on the github issue tracker, but it's been a while. From what I remember the was a user that posted about generating the drivers necessary to make it work in win 10, but because of the MS driver certificate requirements (cost maybe?) he/she complained that @foosel should do it because she gets paid and it wasn't worth his/her time, etc. I remember the post seemed very aggressive and kind of made me mad because that person just complained and didn't provide proof of concept or code for what they claimed they could do in 15 minutes.

Thanks for pointing me the right way :smiley:

looks like it's not worth it

Ewwww... that brings back memories.

/me looks at some pictures of puppies to get in a good mood again

2 Likes

Honestly, Microsoft should consider paying people for writing a driver that works with their own software.

Reminds me of a story...

I once worked at Advent Software. Their marketing people were so cheeky: they decided to enter into a particular business, insert themselves into the middle of a communication chain and then demanded money from either party... and each both cheerfully paid them for the privilege. On the bank side, that was $75K to write the interface and on the broker side it was something like $500/month. I should know since I wrote the backend and the accounting system. We made US$1M the first year of business with only one bank signed up.

Lesson learned: As long as you're confident about the outcome, a party like Microsoft can be induced to pay you big money to make your own software compatible with their software.