Wired Ripples on large flat sections of prints & Print does not come out complete

What is the problem?

Wired Ripples on large flat sections of prints & Print does not come out complete

On this side only, the surface of my print came out with ripples like shown in the picture below, while all the other sides and features on the print look just fine. The Print also seemingly just stopped after about 90%, leaving the top open. I do not have a time-lapse of the print, but it seems like it actually made all the moves, considering the print head was above the edge of the part and in the park position for part removal.

checking serial.log and the gcode file I saw that the entire file should have been printed and there was no error during the printing process from what I can tell. In octoprint.log the only error I could spot was from the autoselect plugin which tried to load the .ufp file after correctly selecting the gcode file, which fails and seemingly does nothing.

After job completion I send a M150 B000 R000 U000

The Filament I am using is a completely new roll of a brand I have had luck with before, so I am guessing it is not the fault of the material im using. I also checked the nozzle for partial clogs but it seems to be really clean. The Extruder assembly seems to be intact, when I manually extrude an amount in the web interface, the right amount of filament is used, there is no skipping or any other things that would hint at a mechanical problem.

The ripples on the sides only appear on some prints, when I printed the same thing together with something else, the surface turned out smooth, but it still aborted at some 80% without any error in the logs I could see (printed at an earlier date, not in the logs, but then again, I had serial.log turned off at the time)

At this point I do not really have an idea what could be causing my problem, so I am turning to this forum

What did you already try to solve it?

  • try different filament
  • check logs
  • upload manually just as .gcode
  • update all plugins and software on host machine

Have you tried running in safe mode?


Complete Logs

truncated_octoprint.log (46.9 KB)
gcode file i was printing

full logs

Additional information about your setup

browser.user_agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/89.0.4389.90 Safari/537.36
connectivity.connection_ok: true
connectivity.enabled: false
connectivity.online: true
connectivity.resolution_check: octoprint.org
connectivity.resolution_ok: true
env.hardware.cores: 2
env.hardware.freq: 2200
env.hardware.ram: 3773009920
env.os.bits: 64
env.os.id: linux
env.os.platform: linux
env.python.pip: 20.1
env.python.version: 3.8.5
env.python.virtualenv: true
octoprint.safe_mode: false
octoprint.version: 1.5.3
printer.firmware: Marlin (GitHub)

Care to share some details on the OctoPrint host and the printer model including the controller details?

On flat horizontal surfaces, this is usually down to not enough cooling - if you can turn your fan speed up, do so, or a more powerful fan/better fan duct. Or not enough flat skins on the top, I would go for at least 3 if not 4 for some large areas.

But from what I can tell, this is the side of the print? That's a really weird effect - I would watch the print, and make sure there was no vibrations and that the print head is actually moving in a straight line and extruding the right amount. More likely the issue is still mechanical, since I am not aware of any intentional way to make that pattern on the side using OctoPrint.

It is sort of pretty... Could it be that you have somehow managed to overextrude that wall? If I load your gcode into cura to visualise it, it seems there are a lot of line thickness variations.

My Octoprint instance is installed on a Fujitsu Futro s720 running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS. I am printing with an almost stock Sidewinder X1 over USB serial. I disabled the mks tft28 because it is connected on the same serial pins as the USB serial chip by default on the mks gen-l.

The hotend is the stock fake Titan aero / Vulcano hotend with a teflon lined heatbreak. I just took the hotend apart, and the teflon liner looks just fine.

@Charlie_Powell The fan was at 100%, (i am printing PLA) and I am already using an optimized duct. The flat surface was facing the front, that is where I usually get the best cooling. I did notice it while printing so i watched it make an outline, but there were no ripples or other unusual effects I could see or feel. Also, i was already using 3 outlines.

I would assume that this is caused by activating the "equalize filament Flow setting" in cura, That said, the entire flat side looks perfectly uniform.

If you like the effect, you can add it manually, take a look at this: velocitypainting