Actual Octoprint / Python 3.6 / Raspberry + Stretch

and it works :slight_smile:

My CF at RaspberryPi 3 with Stretch crashed :-(.
And it was not possible to reinstall Octoprint the normal way. Actual Octoprint version need Python 3.6+ and older Octoprint versions had fatal problems like need of unavailable Python Setuptool versions etc. For Stretch there is Python 2.7 and 3.5 available only.

Because of performance and some other software it is not realy possible to me to work with actual RaspiOS. I've to setup it by hand. There is also a milling machine and some other equipment driven by the Pi.

But its possible to go around and make Python 3.6+ running ahead Stretch. And so making the environment propper for actual Octoprint.
A guide from Switzerland figgered out, how to do it and he published it by

It's not for beginners but more for professionals! One has really to know, what he is doing.
Python 3.6.5 (what he used) does not work. There are some unit test and certification problems.
But Python 3.6.7 is good. Of course it needs some hours. The poor little Pi had to do much work to build Python from source. But at the end it had been successful.
And now the printer can be served by Octoprint again.

This as hint for some with same problem.

I just want to clarify - OctoPrint works with Python 2.7 as well currently, so you should have been able to use that as well. Obviously it will drop Python 2 support at some point, but this has not yet happened.

seems to be a bit mixed up. Maybe it was my environment or whatever:
Actual (Nov. 2020) OctoPrint distribution to me is 1.4.2
Version 1.4.0 installation failed because some parts actual need Python Setuptools 42 what is not part of Python 2.7.
Base is RPi 3B+ with Raspbian Stretch, image dated 2019-04-08 + Internet online update 17.11.2020

Seems to be one of the well known "install from scratch by internet"-problems together with changes of the sources by the distributors.

Now I'm even more confused... Python Setup tools current version is 50.3.2, 4.2 is a long way out. And it should install just fine on stretch, maybe there was something broken in your distro.

oh shit!
42.x of corse ....
well, seems to be better to read careful after writing instead of just skim

To make confusion complete, I corrected original post, 2 above

1 Like

What I can tell you is that I run installation tests of the latest release and the master branch in a CI against Python 2.7, 3.7 and 3.8 twice per day, and so far none of them are indicating an error, see here. Would help if you could provide info on what part of the installation required setuptools 42, because it sure as hell is not a dependency I'm aware of at the moment. Minimum for OctoPrint that it's tested on is 39, no specific requirements stated in setup.py.

dear foosel, as much as I can understand your wish from developer's focus, actually I can not reproduce it whithout coming into trouble because I would have to setup another system from srcatch.
Of course it's possible without attatching the fortunately again running system just by using aother CF, but it would need a lot of time to do it.
Maybe I could do it later, if I'm ready with all the other high prio stuff from my to-do list.
Please dont be too angry to me :slightly_smiling_face:
I'll put this issue to my to-do list and I'll do it some day, I promise.

1 Like