Artillery Sidewinder not connecting to OctoPrint

What is the problem?
I want to connect an Artillery Sidewinder X1 to octoprint but I only managed to do it once until it would refuse to connect because of this error:

Connecting to: /dev/ttyUSB0
Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Opening serial port"
Connected to: Serial<id=0xaf9bce50, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyUSB0', baudrate=250000, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=30.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Changing monitoring state from "Opening serial port" to "Connecting"
Send: N0 M110 N0*125
No answer from the printer within the connection timeout, trying another hello
There was a timeout while trying to connect to the printer
Changing monitoring state from "Connecting" to "Offline"
Connection closed, closing down monitor

What did you already do to try to solve it?
I have tried changing baud rates and ports and I have updated the Artillery printer firmware.
Logs

OctoPrint log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VduV87TToyTFBKT_VtPStXn4Elsz1hU0/view?usp=sharing

Terminal output:

Connecting to: /dev/ttyUSB0
Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Opening serial port"
Connected to: Serial<id=0xaf9bce50, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyUSB0', baudrate=250000, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=30.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Changing monitoring state from "Opening serial port" to "Connecting"
No answer from the printer within the connection timeout, trying another hello
There was a timeout while trying to connect to the printer
Changing monitoring state from "Connecting" to "Offline"
Connection closed, closing down monitor

Additional information about your setup
I have tried on macOS High Sierra (version 10.13 ), Windows 10, and Debian 10 (Buster).
I am slicing with Ultimaker Cura 4.6
and I have Octoprint version OctoPrint : 1.4.0.
Pi is Raspberry pi 1 model B
Printer is Artillery Sidewinder X1 (Evnovo)
Marlin firmware version 2.0.5.3 (stable)

I have also tried connecting the printer directly to a PC using Cura's printer control and it worked perfectly. USB and SD printing works fine as well.

Not a solution but you should really switch to newer model.
The pi 1 and Zero are not recommended since severe performance issues were observed

Log into your pi via ssh then disconnect your printer, connect it again, enter dmesg | tail -n 20 and post the output here.

If you need help with the ssh part

Scroll down and start with the Connecting to Your Raspberry Pi over SSH part.
The first part is already done for you in the octopi image.

Got that. I am ordering a raspberry pi 4 from element14 so I will see if it works with that when it comes.

I have the same problem with Artillery Sidewinder X1 and Raspberry 3B+
Serial connection is simple failing. Same Raspberry Pi connects to other Prusa printers without problem.

Artillery X1 USB port is caught by the TFT Screen Module. To allow USB connection to it you must disconnect the TFT ribbon cable from the Artillery mainboard or cut the Power USB line in the USB cable.(this last I read about but I not tested myself, I test disconnect the ribbon and its work fine).

1 Like

Has anyone verified this? Is this the only way to get OctoPrint working on a Sidewinder X1 V4?

I just got my X1 5 days ago and am surprised that I can't find anything on setting up OctoPrint for it.