Brand New OctoPi Setup - UI Is Very Unreliable Right Out Of The Box - Unusable

I just purchased a brand new Creality Ender 5 Plus for the printer, and order a CanaKit Raspberry Pi 4 Extreme Kit - 128GB Edition (4GB RAM) off Amazon for the OctoPi:

I also ordered the raspberry pi camera module:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M9Q43MX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I followed the tutorials for setting it up, which consisted of using Raspberry Pi Imager v1.6.2 and selecting "OctoPi" for the imager. I used the imager to configure the WiFi credentials as well.
I also disconnected the 5V wire in the USB cable to fix the common backfeeding voltage issue.

What is the problem?

I am constantly, and randomly, presented with the "This site can't be reached" when trying to access "octopi.local/".

Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. Sometimes I can hold CTRL + clicking browser reload button, but most of the time that does not even work. There was an instance yesterday where I was doing this every time I walked by my computer, probably 10 times over 30 minutes, and it would never load. I opened a new browser and it immediately worked right away. Maybe coincedence? I don't know. Now I am constantly trying to open a new browser window to get it to load and 9 out of 10 times it does not load.

If I am lucky enough to get OctoPi to load in my browser, when I navigate to "Control" to view the camera feed, I am always presented with "Webcam stream loading" (see image above)

Usually it takes several minutes to load. If it loads, it works for a few minutes, and then goes back to "Webcam stream loading". At this point it will never load again unless I refresh the page, at which point I am presented with the "This site can't be reached". Someties the camera will never load, and I am presented with "Webcam stream not loaded": (see image above)

At this point, OctoPi is basically unusable. I was hoping it would save time to not have to mess with swapping SD cards back and forth between my computer and the Ender 5 Plus, but at this point I am about ready to switch back to the SD cards.

What did you already try to solve it?

I have been searching through the octoprint community to try and find an answer, and while I have found a ton of similar posts, they are never resolved. I also pulled up the device manager inside my router, and it shows the OctoPi connected with "very high signal strength".

If I can actually get the UI to load, it connects to the printer just fine, and the uploading and printing of files works perfectly without a hitch. While its printing I would like to check in to see the progress, but I get the issues I mentioned above, if its printing or not printing, it does not matter. The timelaps videos also work even though I can never get the UI to load.

I also want to mention that I am a complete noob with this raspberry pi stuff. I thought I could follow a tutorial and it would just work. So I don't understand how to troubleshoot this stuff now.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Hello @Mahonroy !

Please try http://octopi.local/

Its the same thing. Google Chrome automatically puts the "http://" in front of it. And like I mentioned sometimes it works. If I didn't have the URL right it would never work. I don't think that is the problem.

but it's without the www, yes?

Yes thats correct. No "www". It would of never worked if I used "www" and like I mentioned previously, it sometimes works. The URL is not the issue.

So then please, when you have connection, share the systeminfo bundle

While the router says "very high signal strength", that may not be what the RPi sees. Can you download an app like "Wifi Analyzer" on a cell phone and then check the signal both near the router and near the RPi. Sometimes using a different WiFi channel will reduce the interference and get a more reliable connection. Move the RPi around if necessary.

Last option is to switch to a wired, ethernet connection.

Is the IP address more reliable? I'm not sure the Pi would randomly disconnect and reconnect if the signal strength is good enough - it's usually Windows being unreliable resolving the hostname. I can get the hostname to work on my laptop most of the time, never works on my phone really. IP address always works to access it.

So then please, when you have connection, share the systeminfo bundle

Thanks again for the help.
Ok, attached here is the systeminfo bundle octoprint-systeminfo-20220117224037.zip (28.0 KB)

While the router says "very high signal strength", that may not be what the RPi sees. Can you download an app like "Wifi Analyzer" on a cell phone and then check the signal both near the router and near the RPi. Sometimes using a different WiFi channel will reduce the interference and get a more reliable connection. Move the RPi around if necessary.

Here is the signal strength a couple feet away from router, and a foot away from OctoPi (Red is my wifi):

From the systeminfo bundle it looks like it could be struggling with network connection a bit. There's several instances where the connectivity check switches from online to offline, then it comes back online some time later - sometimes it's a short one, sometimes a longer one. This is one example from the end of the file:

2022-01-17 21:40:06,099 - octoprint.server.util.sockjs - INFO - User Mahonroy logged in on the socket from client ::ffff:192.168.1.34
2022-01-17 21:52:05,547 - octoprint.util.connectivity.connectivity_checker - INFO - Connectivity changed from online to offline
2022-01-17 21:52:05,549 - octoprint.util.connectivity.connectivity_checker - INFO - Connecting to 1.1.1.1:53 is not working
2022-01-17 21:52:05,549 - octoprint.util.connectivity.connectivity_checker - INFO - Resolving octoprint.org is not working
2022-01-17 21:52:06,634 - octoprint.server.heartbeat - INFO - Server heartbeat <3
2022-01-17 22:07:05,720 - octoprint.util.connectivity.connectivity_checker - INFO - Connectivity changed from offline to online
2022-01-17 22:07:05,782 - octoprint.plugins.pluginmanager - INFO - Loaded plugin repository data from disk, was still valid
2022-01-17 22:07:06,639 - octoprint.server.heartbeat - INFO - Server heartbeat <3
2022-01-17 22:07:06,958 - octoprint.plugins.pluginmanager - INFO - Loaded notice data from disk, was still valid
2022-01-17 22:13:15,224 - octoprint.server.util.sockjs - INFO - Client connection closed: ::ffff:192.168.1.34
2022-01-17 22:15:04,545 - octoprint.server.util.flask - INFO - Passively logging in user Mahonroy from ::ffff:192.168.1.34
2022-01-17 22:15:04,546 - octoprint.access.users - INFO - Logged in user: Mahonroy

You could try switching to channel 8 or 9 and see if that helps any.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. So it seems the general consensus is that the wifi signal is not very strong?
I ordered a powerline wifi extender to try:

This way I can plug the raspberry pi into ethernet and bypass the wifi all together. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works.

I wanted to report back, that the powerline adapter wifi extender 100% fixed the problem. Octopi loads within seconds, as well as the camera feed, and never fails now. So I guess it turned out the wifi signal was not as strong in the garage as I thought.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.