BTT SKR Mini E3 v2.0 powered by RPi USB

What is the problem?

My Ender 3 was set up with a SKR Mini E3 v1.2 connected to RPi 3B via external USB plug. All was working fine until the X-axis controller died for some reason on the SKR. I am testing a SKR Mini E3 v2.0 and all works great...except I notice that when I power the RPi it powers the SKR from USB.

What did you already try to solve it?

It appears the options are to run with a modified USB cable that removes +5V (electrical tape, Brian's adapter, or possibly using serial connection. I never noticed this was an issue before but the board died for no reason so wondering if this is a new issue for SKR mini v2 that v1.2 didn't have? I think the board died due to excess heat in the rear mounted box that I'm redesigning, but it could be power potentially.

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

Ender 3
BTT SKR Mini E3 V2
RPi 3B w/ buck converter supplied power from Ender PSU

Different revision could ha e different wiring to the USB you need to tape the +5V pin so the pi doesn't power the board

I added a strip of electrical tape and all seems good. From what I've read, it appears this WAS an issue with my old controller and it may very well have led to bad things. I inherited it configured this way assuming it was in a working condition but I gather in this case it was not.

A lot of BTT boards also have a power select jumper or something similar. Check the manual or pinout schematics

The E3V2 board does not have the isolation link only the E3V3 board has.

Bill

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.