Cam not working?

The first screen shot is when I E-net Mac to Pi from mac. Thats when i got Two IP address I realize I buggerd up the first few login attempts (newB)

The second is how it is now over wifi

Third Is my AirPort Ext window as an "Option" click as it brings up more info and options

I don't know if any is helpful and I Really appreciate any ideas you may have.
SB

The 169.254.x.x address means that there isn't a DHCP server on the ethernet segment that your Pi is connected to. It's an automatic address (self-selected, theoretically non-conflicted address) that is designed to allow DHCP clients to communicate with each other when they can't find a working DHCP server. I noticed you said you plugged it directly into your Mac...that's where that came from.

I'd be interested to see the Network tab of your AirPort setup, and to know if you have another router on the network somewhere. When you connected to the Pi using octopi.local, the problem was most likely that it was preferring the Ethernet over WiFi for bonjour, since there were no other resolution services available on that link, and eth0 or en0 come before wlan0 or wl0, so your machine likely cached octopi.local before. Probably explains why it magically worked the next day...all the (in)appropriate caches expired.

You never did give us that arp cache, though, did you? Just FYI, I run my OctoPi via Ethernet, and I'm on a Mac most of the time.

NETWORK Tab a AirpotExt. I D do have two AExt. I put the old one in my garage to extend the WiFi for the other end of my house.

Screen shots of Network Tab and Network Options.
THANKS, Good EYE!

Yep, yep...

Doing a ping octopi.local is known to incorporate a broadcast in some circumstances and can actually heal the arp/dns caches if either hold bad info.

Oh... and unless you're running a coffee shop, it doesn't hurt to crank up the DHCP lease or to dedicate one for the printer.

I admit to having extremely minimal experience with Apple products, but, I do know that having 2 active DHCP servers on the same network can cause massive problems

I also know that there is an "Airport Setup" button in there somewhere which should help automate the connection between the 2 routers

I uped to 10 days DHCP Lease is that good?

On the one expanding the network it is set different.

Bridge mode. Right, failing the auto setup I was gonna say that

Sure, ten days sounds better than one day. And bridge mode means that the second wifi is just piggy-backing from the first: same network and presumably same DHCP server as the first.

Im not sure if we are baking up the correct tree or not.. The Airport I'm using to "Expand" the network is set this way. The Airport Im using as the Base should be dealing out DHCP. I put the two next each other for a
Screen Shot

Thanks for the pix.

I think I'd just click the + button under DHCP, reserve 10.0.1.34 to the printer and call it a day. You can get the MAC address of the Raspi by running ifconfig:

$ ifconfig wlan0|grep ether|sed s/ether//|sed s/txque.*$//
b8:27:eb:de:a7:c7 

Im assuming I run ifconfig on my pi and when I do get this. Circled in red MAC add?

When I reserve the IP do it like this? MAC add or DHCP Client ID?

Confusing thing is this going to help my camera??
Thanks if say it should help ill change it.

Sean, that's @OutsourcedGuru's MAC address...he meant you should run the following on the OctoPi and copy the resulting MAC address:

ifconfig wlan0|grep ether|sed s/ether//|sed s/txque.*$//
1 Like

All that typing is confusing

I would just type ifconfig and look down the list for where it says wlan0

That'll be your wifi IP and MAC

1 Like

ifconfig -a, not just ifconfig, and I was just parroting the line, which I assumed would be cut and pasted, not typed out, and works, leaving just whitespace and the MAC address on a line, which does remove other sources of confusion for those less familiar with ifconfig.

1 Like

@StumpBucket When you see someone like me showing example commands, we often indicate that something is a done in a terminal prompt as your own user by prefixing it with a dollar sign and if you're supposed to be the root user, then it's prefixed by a pound sign.

So...

$ echo Hello from me!
# echo Hello from root!

...would mean that you get into a terminal and run the first command:

echo Hello from me!

... and then you need to be the root user so you would temporarily become that administrator...

sudo sh
echo Hello from root!
exit

So the command before I wanted you to enter was the part after the dollar sign, ignoring my sample output. You want to put your MAC address rather than mine.

I think I'd reasonably expect you to copy/paste in a situation like this. :laugh:

This problem seems very similar to what i am experiencing;

@StumpBucket Does the camera also work for you directly after rebooting the pi and then stops working when starting the first print?

nbasse The cam only worked when the PI was plugged into my mac E-net. As soon as it was on WiFi it wouldn't load. That is what this thread has morphed into, a network trouble shooting Guid for Dummies (ME)

Think I did it correct this time but still no cam. Would it be prudent to start fresh with a new octoprint? If Octoprint is running and dose com with Safari ok some thing may have gone wrong with it during install? New SS to confirm I did right and to see if anything else looks whacky.