Catch-22 supplicant file editing

What is the problem?
I've recently moved, and my wifi information is out of date. I need to update the supplicant file.

What did you already try to solve it?
When I plug the SD card into my computer, I can't access it. The PC says the disk must be formatted.
When I connect the Pi through ethernet, I can get to the desktop by VNC, but I don't see any way to edit the file.
There's a config page showing many useful features (like text editor) disabled.

So I'm in a catch-22, I can't edit the file through the wired connection, and I can't edit it by mounting the card on my PC, and I can't enable anything that would let me edit the file.

Hello @dbvanhorn !

Ignore the Windows demand of formatting something.
After you inserted the SD card to the SD card reader, there should be a partition called boot.

You should be able open that partition where you can find the file octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt

There you can update your WiFi credentials.

1 Like

As I said, when I put the card in the windows machine, I am unable to access it. Windows says the card needs formatting. I know how to edit the supplicant file, BTDT..

Is there a way to do it through the linux desktop? There I can see the file, but I am not finding any way to edit the file.

Via the command line you may try

sudo raspi-config

On point 2 Network Options you should be able update it too.

2 Likes

This is normal from Windows. The main partition is not readable from Windows, so it always complains.

THANK YOU! That got it done.

1 Like