Communication error [OctoPrint 1.7.0 - CR-10]

What is the problem?

After using octoprint 1.3.10 for years I succumbed to the notices prompting me to update. Using update manager I updated to the latest version of octoprint and got a message saying how python was a messy lush and it would be worth my while doing a fresh install on a new sd card. I used the pi imager to create a new octoprint sd card, loaded it on the same pi, tried to upload my backup zip, found out it was too large for the gui, uploaded it through winscp and restored via ssh. The first print I tried got through a few layers before getting a communication error:
2021-10-27 23:56:11,541 - octoprint.util.comm - WARNING - Printer keeps requesting line 8757 again and again, communication stuck
Now it has the following error immediately after starting any print using the same gcode files from the old version of octoprint on the same printer:
"There was a communication error while talking to your printer. Please consult the terminal output and octoprint.log for details. Error: Printer keeps requesting line 2 again and again, communication stuck"

What did you already try to solve it?

restarting octoprint, removing a few plugins, going to bed, restarting octoprint in safe mode

Have you tried running in safe mode?


Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

yes. Printed successfully without error messages.
Do these systeminfo bundles point to a problem plugin?

Systeminfo Bundle (309.5 KB) (535.3 KB) (528.2 KB)

Additional information about your setup

Pi3B, OctoPrint 1.7.0, OctoPi 0.18.0, CR-10, original firmware, firefox

Yep, indeed they do, so good thing you shared them :+1:

Your firmware doesn't seem to like this line:

M117 ETA is 09:31:34 am*108

That's the one it keeps looping on and trying to interpret as multiple lines. This is most likely injected by Octoprint Display ETA. Some firmwares treat : as a line separator and really don't like it as part of M117 so I suggest you either disable this plugin or check if you can reconfigure it to not use :, or maybe flash firmware that doesn't hiccup on this.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply!

That plugin does have an option to remove : which I just enabled and that seems to have fixed the problem. The no longer maintained ETA plugin that I replaced with this one displayed the ETA on the web interface but didn't send the ETA time to the printer display, so the printer didn't get in a tizzy over how it was formatted.


This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.