Cura OctoPrint Connection plugin

3.5.13 version of plugin, 1.4.0 octoprint, 4.4.1, 4.6.1 and Cura-mb-master-x86_64-20200605 of Cura - plugin takes a loooooooooong time uploading 1hr print worth of gcode. PrusaSlicer uploads in seconds, cura octoprint plugin takes about 2 minutes or so...

can seem to find anything in octoprint logs (there seems to be nothing about upload process)
Additional detail - my printer is running Klipper together with octoprint klipper plugin.

any ideas?

You don't happen to have the "Store G-code on the printer SD card" option checked in the Connect to Cura dialog, do you?

If you download the files that PrusaSlicer and Cura uploaded to OctoPrint, is one noticably larger than the other?

no, no storing setting enabled.
Prusa file: 1.8M
Cura file: 2.2M (tree supports probably mostly make up the size difference)

Could it be that the PrusaSlicer is using an IPv4 address for its transfer, and Cura uses an IPv6 address? This could happen if, for example, you entered an IPv4 address in PrusaSlicer, but use autodiscovery or a hostname in Cura. I have seen IPv6 traffic being substantially slower.

Version 3.5.14 is now available in the Marketplace and fixes the crashing bug with the PSU Control, IKEA Tradfri and MyStrom Switch plugins.

@fieldOfView, thanks for the reply on Discord, I totally understand the comment. I was hoping you could help me with something if you don't mind.

I'm looking at maybe upgrading the CuraLegacy plugin to be compatible with the latest CuraEngine now that I've been able to successfully compile it on an octopi instance and was wondering if you know of anything that exists that can export a flattened/combined json file for a printer profile/slice settings to remove all the inheritance that exists in Cura's implementation now?

There is not, especially not something that takes into account multiple extrusion. I'm more than willing to help creating such a plugin, but let's not discuss that in this already overly long thread. Could you start a new one?

even if that is the case, i dont believe it would add so much time. 10-15% time, could be. but 200-300%, i dont think so..

I am trying to find out what is going on. I'm not saying "suck it up" by trying to figure out what the difference between uploading via Cura and PrusaSlicer is. Please don't leave me guessing.

The Cura plugin does an HTTP multipart POST request with the gcode as one of the posts, per the OctoPrint API. I think PrusaSlicer does the same. Looking at what the two do in the same way isn't very useful, so I'm trying to find out what they do differently. So please let me know if you use an (IPv4) address in PrusaSlicer vs autodiscovery in Cura.

I don't use or have PrusaSlicer installed, nor have I ever used it, but you seem to have both installed. You know more about the difference in how they use OctoPrint than I.

Please do not misunderstand me - i thonk you are doing a great job supporting a good product! If you read any negatife feeling feom my posts(s), its misunderstanding (english is not my first language, so i might miss some nuances).

I was just and only expressing my doubt that ipv6 would (alone) add so much overhead.

I am currently for a few weeks at leadt away from the problematic printer, so i cannot debug unfortunately. i'll reheat this topic when im back, ok?

And again, no hard feelings, ok? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Geezus, forgive all the typos - typing quickly on the phone :frowning:

1 Like

Don't worry, no hard feelings. I'm still interested in the answer though...

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I'm getting a strange error with the plugin to Octoprint when using the x/y/z movement in Cura with the plugin.

Pressing X axis (either direction), the code sent is:
Send: G0 X-0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0 F3000

And pressing Z axis is giving:
Send: G0 X10.0 Y0.0 Z-10.0 F3000

Everything works fine in Octoprint and on the Android App.. is there anything you could suggest please?

Kind regards,
Matt

You found a bug. Please try this development snapshot by downloading the file and dropping it onto the Cura buildplate as if it were a 3d model.

1 Like

WOW, just WOW!! Thank you so much, and what a fast response! You've fixed the issue for me. Thank you for such a great plugin :smiley:

1 Like

The OctoPrint Connection plugin will soon have support for multiple cameras via the MultiCam plugin. As before, feedback on the development snapshot is appreciated. Download the file and drop it onto the Cura buildplate as if it were a 3d model.

1 Like

Hi,

I got a 404 error - URL not found if I try to print with Cura directly to OctoPrint with the plugin. Sometimes it works and also every other feature is working fine like Webcam or requesting an API key. Only print is failing. Any ideas about it?

I still tried to disable auto-discovery and set URL by my own but without any change in the behavior.

Cheers,
Nils

This error should be fixed in the upcoming 3.5.15 release , which is currently awaiting approval in the Ultimaker Marketplace. For now you can download the fixed release and drop it onto the Cura buildplate as if you are loading a model.

Update: 3.5.15 is now available in the Marketplace and should fix this error.

Perfect. Installed it and will inform if there are problems.

Cheers,

Nils

I can't find it in the marketplace anymore. running Cura 4.6.2.
Tried manually installing it but still not showing up in the machine settings.