Ender 3 refusing to conect to octoprint

What is the problem?
my ender 3 pro (fw 1.1.6)is not connecting to my pi the problem is with the ender it self so far i could figure out -i only managed to conect to octoprint briefly after many attempts only once -after doing a test print it suddenly lost conection
What did you already try to solve it?
Connecting it to my pc (will conect to the pc -and can confirm i can control it with pronterface)
and
connecting it tough OTG adapter with my phone works (after i restart the printer with the cable pluged in )
to rule out a bad cable (the cable is new)

so far is i could find out the problem is at my printers end
i can confirm it will see a USB port when powered trough a cable only when the printer is powerd off
i managed to conect octoprint briefly but how i did this i have no clue
Logs (octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support!)

Unexpected error while reading serial port, please consult octoprint.log for details: SerialException: 'device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)' @ comm.py:_readline:2793
Please see https://faq.octoprint.org/serialerror for possible reasons of this.
Changing monitoring state from "Operational" to "Offline (Error: SerialException: 'device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)' @ comm.py:_readline:2793)"
Connection closed, closing down monitor
Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible)

ive noticed my printer will only conect with octoprint when the printer is powerd off
(but as soon as i turn it on it loses conection)

im a dumb ass:scream: -i didn't know 1.the printer needs partially off 2. then conect the printer in octoprint befor i can turn the printer on

I'm not saying your cable is bad, but the logic that it has to be good because it's new has some flaws :wink:

I never heard that before. Try this

and hopefully you can connect the printer normally afterwards.

Also I recommend to switch to your own marlin 1.1.9.
The creality marlin can cause issues sometimes.

1 Like

thank you for your concern i really appreciate it.
i tough it was weird my printer Powers on while off, now i know for certain its not normal for my printer to do so .
i am planing on upgrading the board to a skr mini v1.3 soon(i need to plan things out first) ,seeing how an ender 3 needs a arduino to flash a bootloader from what ive heard .i might as well replace the board and get more out of the printer in the future- i am gonna try your solution to see if it helps with it stoping from printing mid print -
-ive also bough a official rasbery pi 3 power adapter -to get rid of the undervaltage warning
ive done everthing short of buying a new rasberry pi - and treid atleast 4 difrent know working cables
even the one i use for my wifi adapter -

1 Like

ive turns off automatic firmware reconition in octoprint and it seems to make the connection more stable
im doing a test print of something and it seems to go well so far im 2:30 in of a 3 hour print

This is an old thread, hopefully you have found a solution that worked for you. If not a couple of thoughts.

The Ender main board can get power from the octopi usb cable. i found this disconcerting. It is also possible for the two power supplies, Ender and raspberry, to fight each other. I fixed that by using a buck converter to power the raspberry.

The main problem I had was with the usb opening on the Ender case. The hole is a little small. The usb cable almost plugs in all the way, but not quite. This causes intermittent connections. I tried several cables. Some would work some times. I finally used a knife to trim back the plastic on the usb connector. That fixed my connection problem.