Getting "Cannot check for throttling" error on v1.8.1

What is the problem?

For a few weeks, I've been getting a popup showing
"Cannot check for throttling
OctoPrint cannot check for throttling situations reported by your Pi. vcgencmd doesn't work as expected. Make sure the system user OctoPrint is running under is a member of the "video" group."

It started happening (not after an update, AFAIK) on v 1.7.? and doesn't appear to have affected anything critical. I updated (fresh flash, then restored OP user data) to 1.8.1 and the problem persists.

What did you already try to solve it?

getent group video
response: video:x:44:pi,webcam

Have you tried running in safe mode?

yes

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

no

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

Octoprint v1.8.1
OctoPi v0.18.0
running on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2
Prusa MK3S with fw 3.11
Chrome browser
Windows 11

octoprint-systeminfo-20220603183234.zip (91.3 KB)

What output do you get when you SSH to the Pi (logged in as the pi user) and run vcgencmd get_throttled?

throttled=0x0

should I report this as a bug?

I assume it's already known:

I don't think it's the same issue having looked at the logs. There's nothing out of the ordinary with that response to the command you sent either.

I looked at the logs and the error is this:

octoprint.plugins.pi_support - WARNING - ('consume: expected %r', 'number')

...which is not very helpful as to why that has happened. The only thing I can think that's generating that line is converting 0x0 to a number to work with, using `int("0x0", 2) in Python. I haven't been able to find anything about that error on the internet either.

Thank you for the response.
I had read that before posting. That OP was running OctoPi v1.0, not stable, and further down in the responses it was said that the problem they were concerned about was the vcgencmd error happening in 0.18/1.8.1. I started a new thread because I met those criteria, and it was unclear how widespread a problem it was.

Aside from the pop-up warning, there doesn't seem to be any adverse effects. I can print reliably from OP, there are no crashes; everything seems to be fine.

I do have some issues getting OP to recognize a temp/humidity sensor that's plugged in on i2c, but that's a problem for another post, I think.

just to update:

The behavior appears to have stopped with no intervention from me.
tempus fugit.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.