How do I install Octoprint on 64Gb microSD card?

Hi there,

I'm a Windows user and had similiar problems with setting up Octoprint on a 64gb and higher SD card, so here's my experience

1. I used an alternate imaging software (Windows: Win32 Disk Imager download | SourceForge.net, unfortunately no MAC version, trythe raspberry pi imager suggested)
  2. after imaging, the SD card will split into 2 partitions, one called BOOT (small capacity), and the rest is on another parition (which on Windows i cannot access).
  3. as i imaged several SD cards to test, i had a few cards stuck at #2. then i used this formatter SD Memory Card Formatter | SD Association to revert the card to the original state.

not sure if the above helps, but good luck!

I had problems with the balenaEtcher

Hi Victaru,
I have also tried Atom and Notepad++ instead of BalenaEtcher but with same results!
I am stuck with the MAC at the moment but looking to get a Windows run installation soon to see if that works.
Cheers
Kev

Hi PW
I am following your instructions and will update you asap.
thanks
Kev

Sorry, but Atom and Notepad++ are text editors, BalenaEtcher is a flash program.

Sorry my bad, got a bit confused their for a minute. :slight_smile:

I have tried BalenaEtcher and also the Raspberry Pi Imager to flash the cards and the other programs mentioned to edit the supplicant text part.
cheers
Kev

1 Like

do you have an ssh.txt file in the root? If no, it won't enable ssh.

OctoPi usually comes with that file.

1 Like

Yes I believe that file was in the root

Here is where you went wrong... The file 'ssh', NOT 'ssh.txt', should be in the BOOT partition, NOT the ROOT!

1 Like

If you have Raspbian running and want to install OctoPi on your already running Pi, I have a script that works flawlessly on a Pi3, you could try that on your Pi4.

Wow, thanks a lot piadam, I would have been continually struggling with that if you had not told me!

I have not seen any mention of that difference in any YouTube videos or guides on google!!

I will make sure that it is in the boot partition.

What is the extension on this file and how is it created?

Thanks
Kev

I dont have Rasbian running, I just installed it once to confirm the Pi 4 was not at fault. I don't have any other reason to run it really.

Cheers for the help
kev

Hi piadam
I have now checked that the SSH file is in the BOOT partition and it is showing Zero bytes
I have edited the Suplicant file to enable the wifi access.
Saved it and in theory when I install it into the Pi 4 it should expand automatically. However looking on the downside what do I need to do if I cannot log in with SSH from my MacBook Pro or it does not auto expand?
Thanks for your help
Kev

I never worked with a pre-configured supplicant-file, will try that in a moment, will get back on that...
I'm a Mac and Terminal guy that has about 15 Raspberries running, all configured using SSH (YET,... over wired ethernet), so I expect I will be able to get you going soon (as soon as I have figured out how to get it working over WiFi)...

First this:
AFTER you wrote the SD-card on your Mac, reïnsert the SD-card in the Mac. If your Finder-Preferences allow the Finder to show you external-disks then it should show a disk called 'boot', which is the boot-volume of the Pi. You won't see the 2nd partition on the SD-card, which is going to be the Pi's root-partition.

You could also start the Terminal program and do what I did below (the character between the k and the P in the first command is a LOWERCASE L):
~ % df -klP
Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk1s5s1 244272536 16318200 74791872 18% /
/dev/disk1s4 244272536 1049644 74791872 2% /System/Volumes/VM
/dev/disk1s2 244272536 1238336 74791872 2% /System/Volumes/Preboot
/dev/disk1s6 244272536 7396 74791872 1% /System/Volumes/Update
/dev/disk1s1 244272536 149614012 74791872 67% /System/Volumes/Data
/dev/disk3 65536 1588 63948 3% /Volumes/RAMDisk
/dev/disk2s2 3906754560 1719757392 2186997168 45% /Volumes/4TP2
/dev/disk4s1 258095 49983 208112 20% /Volumes/boot
~ % ls -la /Volumes/boot/ssh
-rwxrwxrwx 1 adam staff 0 Jun 8 13:53 /Volumes/boot/ssh
[adam@mbookpro 10:58:40] ~ %

Focus on the lines above, that contain the word 'boot'.
Do these line appear on your Mac too? If so: fine, if not: you made a mistake somewhere...

You said the filesystem did not expand, how did you see that when you have no access to your Pi?
The boot-volume will never get expanded on the Pi, it is the root-volumes (/) that will get expanded to the size of your SD-card.

Let me know and meanwhile I will find out about how to preconfigure the WiFi-password stuff.

OK, so the supplicant-stuff was easy and worked right away.

Here's what you do:
In the Pi's boot-volume, there where the file 'ssh' is already, put a file named: wpa_supplicant.conf
That file should contain (ssid and password are CASE-sensitive!!) the following data:
country=us
update_config=1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
scan_ssid=1
ssid="your-wifi-ssid"
psk="your-wifi-password"
}

After you put the 'ssh' and 'wpa_supplicant.conf' files on the SD-card you should be able to boot the Pi from it and get ssh-access to it.
The biggest problem could be to find out the Pi's IP-address... Your DHCP-server (probably your router) should be able to show you the wireless devices with their IP-addresses. The Pi probably has the name 'raspberry' there.

Let me know!

Kind regards,
Adam

Can you ping to the pi?
Tried to telnet it directly?

Also, why WIFI? Did you try to connect it to the router or hub directly with a network-cable?
For configuring these things, the Pi is not needed to be near the printer so you can do most at your desktop, connecting it to a TV-screen or computer-monitor using HDMI and connecting an USB-keyboard at boot. It might show you more information, also if the WIFI can somehow not connect.

For Octoprint / Octopi by the way, I don't understand why you would choose a 64GB card? Most of my Pi's run with 8GB or 16GB cards and normally there is not more then max. 4GB on them in use with a lot of files on it that are not even needed.
Most of the times I use putty to connect to the pi's by the way.

Hi Guys, dont ask me how but I finally got the 64Gb card to run Octopi. The only thing is how do I tell what amount has been allocated to Octoprint to use as storage etc.
I also managed to SSH into Octoprint so that route is available to me ( hopefully ).

elvinhaak, I tried using a wired network connection but could not get that to work at all. I have eventually managed to get the wifi connection working and continued from there.
With regards to the size of card, I ran a 32Gb card before but it got filled pretty quickly and I could not work out how to empty or transfer the contents hence the 64Gb to give me a bit more time to work this out. I cannot use Putty from my Mac which is a shame as it looks pretty nice and simple, which Is what I need being a Dufus!
Cheers for the input

Ok. Good that you got it working in the end.
I think there should be some putty-tool for the Mac as well, at least it there used to be one (I used it years ago).
About removing old files: if it is only for Octoprint, there is a filemanager-plugin. In there you can select the files you want to move or remove straight from within Octoprint (just open the tab) in the web-browser.
Then you don't need to learn and use Linux for things like that.
You must be printing very big gcode-files though. I run my printers dayly with Octoprint and did not manage to fill my 8GB cards in years without deleting older prints.
I sometimes think 'well, it may be time to delete some' but then forget about it.

There is also another plugin that could work for you, the Archiver. You can set it up to automatically move or remove done prints for example. Also some other plugins can be very handy. I go through all the plugins regularly to see if there is any that I like to test or use on my installations.
(I use up to 9 instances of Octoprint, of which 7 regularly.)

good to know elvinhaak, I will check out those plugins you mentioned :+1: