Installing on Mac

I follow the instructions and try to ssh the pi but nothing happens.
Have Pi 3B
Using Mackbook Pro
Printer Lulzbot Mini

It looks so easy. Just flash the card. change network settings on card and plug the printer cable into the Pi board. I bet there is something so obvious that I am missing. Help me Please.

What does "nothing happens" mean?

Do you have a monitor and keyboard you can use to put on the Pi to see if it is booting?

Are you trying to ssh in to octopi.local or an IP? (you should definitely try the latter)

1 Like

OK I got a screen hooked up and lots of code scrolling. Yea!!! Where is the instructions on how to use it?

Henry Staub

hkstaub@gmail.com

It's alive! When it's done scrolling it should end at a prompt- something like "login:". pi is the user, raspberry is the password. Then you're at a prompt that looks like pi@octopi:~$. Type ip addr show, look under the wlan0 entry to see if it has an IP address.

Most of this is standard Raspberry Pi stuff, so there are tons of tutorials available that might match your learning style.

1 Like

I follow the instructions and try to ssh the pi but nothing happens.

I suspect that something happens, but not what you want. :slight_smile:

You don't say what you want to achieve by using ssh?

Typically I just open a web browser pointing at octopi.local (about half
the time that auto-completes to octopart.com but that's not important right
now)

So, first, log in to your router and see if the Pi has connected to your
router. (probably 192.168.0.1)

Then try ssh to the IP address (I find ssh -Y is more reliable, especially
if you want to open remote X windows)

And then you can try octopi.local.

1 Like

I spoke too soon. I cannot SSH to the Raspberry Pi from laptop. It is a Macbookpro.

*I am using a Macbookpro and cannot SSH or log in from Chrome.

I have a 7 inch screen and see the boot chase across the screen ending in "pi@octopi:~%~.

I changed the wifi SSID and password. I set up the config to take SSH but I am not sure that copied over. I use Etch app to burn the card. Your help will be appreciated.

@Henry_Staub please do not open multiple topics on the same problem

You may have seen my last post but despite having the Pi boot I cannot SSH in. Does the display attached to the PI display the main page. Where is Octopi running? It seems like it must be an individual instance with each Octoprint setup. This is confusing.

Henry Staub

hkstaub@gmail.com

OK
Henry Staub

hkstaub@gmail.com

I tried to find the IP address 'ip addr show' and got back a lot of cryptic telling me there was no loop back and a strange address (127.0.01/8). Any ideas?

What are your (uncommented) entries in /boot/octopi-network.txt and /boot/octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt? "I didn't edit those files" is a valid response.

1 Like

BTW, here's an example of a good IP address in ip addr show, it's the 192.168.0.113 entry:

3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether b8:27... brd ff:ff:...
    inet 192.168.0.113/16 brd 192.168.255.255 scope global wlan0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 fe80::42d8.../64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

I did not edit them.

It can't connect to your network unless you configure that (or are using an Ethernet cord).

OK that means the wifi dongle NG. I plugged in a ethernet cable and it gave me the IP address and whamo we get the screen on the laptop. Now I guess I get to hook up the printer cable to thePi and see what happens. Thanks.

Henry Staub

hkstaub@gmail.com

OK I got every thing ready to print and Wham it wants an API key. OK I did look but cannot find how to get one. Help Please.

In settings, in the features subsection, there's an entry for API.

@Henry_Staub - did you ever get your WiFi working, or are you access via ethernet or using your connected screen. If you have not edited your WiFi information in either octopi-network.txt or octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt as @tedder42 mentioned, your WiFi will not work (if you are using an ethernet caple to connect your pi to your router, this is not a big deal. If you are not, you will not be able to access OctoPrint or access your Pi via ssh.) Take a look at this thread for WiFi help

No I am still on ethernet. I need help with an number of things. Change password. do something with API password, and generally how to navigate thru directories and find stuff.