Is it possible to have 3D printer automatically turn on & off?

What is the problem?

I'm trying to have the printer turned on automatically and switch off after a print. I've done some research and it states you need to have both PSU Control and the PSU Control - Tapo plugin. I have a TAPO smart plug connected to the printer which I can control manually using the app or by voice and create a schedules what not.

What did you already try to solve it?

I've activated all plugins and input my credentials into the Tapo plugin in Octoprint, matching those in the Tapo app. Additionally, I've enabled the feature in the OctoPrint plugin in Cura for PSU control to automatically power up the printer when starting a print job. However, the printer doesn't turn on when I begin printing. I'm curious if this functionality is actually feasible, as I've heard the Tapo firmware update might disrupt the plugin's operation. If it's not possible, that's fine, but having this feature would be beneficial. As an alternative, I've installed PrintTime Genius, which accurately predicts the printing time, allowing me to schedule the printer to shut down 30 minutes post-printing. Ideally, having the printer automatically switch on and off would be great, but I understand that might not be achievable.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

NO

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

Ender 3 Neo, Octoprint latest

any errors in octoprint.log? this setup should work as you desire it to.

I'll have a look

What am I looking for in the octoprint.log ?

you could upload it here, but anything that say error or stacktrace.

How do I upload sorry to be a pain? I can't see no attach button

nothing with stacktrace.. Maybe I haven't set it up correct for it even to start logging?

1 Like

Upload

1 Like

Ok I've attached log which has been redacted.. Had my account details and IP's and passwords inside it other than that the information is correct. Also attached screenshots of the settings for the PSU controller and the Tapo would have just been my IP to the plug username and password which I've removed too.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Would be nice for this to work. So I take it the firmware isn't an issue no longer as I'm sure you guys would have mentioned it already ?

Regards
SN

octoprint.log (95.7 KB)

Log and screenshots provided ? Any ideas ????

Have you installed your Tapo properly in your network?

Yeah I've actually reserved it's IP address using it's MAC address therefore kind of making it static so the IP does not change. I can turn it off using voice by means of Alexa skill or I can use the app on android to turn on or off the plug.. so I think it's properly configured

1 Like

no errors then, so maybe need to enable debug logging for the tapo plugin in OctoPrint's logging section. At least that way you can see if it's at least trying or not.

On to it! thanks

I can't find what your referring to ? Where is this debug logging section ?

Is it this that I need to enable ?

No.

Debug logging is here:

OK enabled . Now I'll try and power on and where would I find these logs and what am I looking for ? I can upload actually if I know where to find em.

I'm hoping this is going to pin point what the issue is.

Thanks again

Actually it's not above listed with the other logs? Anyway this plugin isn't working. Where is this log please so we can see what's going on ? This is driving me round the bend