Loading Unattached Printers Firmware

What is the problem?

I was attempting to print to my Robo3d R1 via octoprint as i have done before. When I go to make the initial connection to it, I get an error saying printer stopped due to BLtouch error.... The thing is this printer doesnt have a bltouch on it. Also when i scroll up the terminal looking at the starting info it says that its for the Cr-10s. Which is baffling because the Cr-10s has never been attached to this octoprint or this pi for that matter.

What did you already try to solve it?

I went into safe mode and it still occurred. I also reinstalled but then loaded the backup which i'm assuming brought it back.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No

Complete Logs

octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support! Not log excerpts, complete logs.)

octoprint.log (24.3 KB) Also it says i can only place 1 embedded media item in post

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

Newest version since i just upgraded, not sure on the robo 3d firmware, chrome, win10

Could you please upload a full serial.log?

serial.log (4.4 KB)

As for the firmware, you have a version for a BLTouch:

2021-03-28 02:34:53,604 - Recv: echo: Last Updated: 2019-07-26 | Author: CR-10S BLTouch
2021-03-28 02:34:53,671 - Recv: echo:Compiled: Aug  5 2019

For you don't have a BLTouch installed, yo get this error message:

2021-03-28 02:34:59,458 - Recv: Error:STOP called because of BLTouch error - restart with M999
2021-03-28 02:34:59,490 - Recv: Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

Somehow you got the wrong firmware onto your printer.
You should install the proper one.

I haven’t flashed the firmware on the robo3d though is the thing. If I had then I would have suspected that but that’s not the case.

Has someone else access to the printer?

The fact you have a CR10s (at least it sounds like it) makes it seem like either:

• The CR10s is connected to OctoPrint, not the Robo3D
  • The wrong firmware has been flashed to the Robo3D printer

I don't see any other way this could have happened, OctoPrint is not involved (it doesn't load firmware without a plugin, and even then not without you asking it to) so I would suggest absolutely double checking you have everything set up as you intend it to.

1 Like

So mysteriously you guys are correct and the firmware was not the right one. I have no idea how that happened since the Robo was never connected to the computer while i was trying to flash the CR-10s. I am able to connect to it with my pc and octoprint now. However it only stays connected for a very short period and then disconnects saying communication error. octoprint (4).log (126.4 KB) serial (3).log (11 KB)

Which firmware is it running now? Marlin 2.x Bugfix?

Does it stay connected when you print from octoprint while staying in a menu like the preheat-menu on the printer?

No i have found it to be the most reliable on Robo3d's distributed firmware for the R1+. and no it continuously disconnects. I know before the firmware swap happened that i have connected to it from octoprint before and it didn't have these issues.

So, you still have the issues on Robo3d's firmware? Is it based on Marlin 2.0.x bugfix inside?
Can you back to an old version of the firmware to see if it solves the problem?

Edit: do enable firmware-check in the plugins and uninstall plugins you don't use .
Do you have error messages about the complicated-plugin now?

I doubt it's 2.0.x. It has to be loaded with arduino ide and is on Robo3d's website however i dont know which version of marlin it is

It's rare that firmware vendors ship with a very up to date version of Marlin, likely something fairly old (relative to Marlin's development, which is fast)

I figured that much at least. I just not sure how that helps me achieve a working octoprint with the robo3d r1+ that has worked in the past with the same firmware.