My octopi install imploded last night and i can't figure out whats wrong

Whats wrong and what did you try to do?

I have a pi connected to an ender 5 with a little webcam, nothing special, running off the latest stable octopi build and installed with rasberry imager. Worked great, for like 2 days. Now all of a sudden i wasn't able to connect. Ran through all the usual troubleshooting errors and things just weren't working so i decided to reformat and reinstall octoprint. Same way i did before. Now accessing the IP i used before octoprint is not running and gives This error. I've followed all the steps, ps -ef seems to show no octoprint service running, any sort of grep command seems to just hang indefinitely.

Here is where i would go post the log... if i had any, it seems that no matter how many times i reinstall, be it stable or nightly, the log location goes something like this

~/.octoprint/config.yaml

no other files to be found. now i'm not an expert, but is octoprint just literally not installing for some reason? Did i miss a step? Why is there no log file?

Sorry for the wall of text, any help is mighty appreciated

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes i think so, it appears that every other post i see here is using python, i appear to be using bash so certain commands don't work e.g.

-bash: octoprint: command not found

i would have tried toinstall python as i like pip better than apt, but i've not had time in the two days since i got the pi

Did it do anything

Manually editing the yaml and restarting octoprint then the whole pi did not seem to do anything

Systeminfo Bundle

`processor : 0
model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 108.00
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xd08
CPU revision : 3

processor : 1
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32

processor : 2

processor : 3

Hardware : BCM2711
Revision : b03115
Serial : 100000007427399a
Model : Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5`

Additional information about your setup

Octopi 1.8.0, octoprint 1.7.3, rasberry pi imager 1.7.1, brand new canacat pi kit

One weird detail

On startup, i keep seeing the octoprint camera daemon starting and stopping ten or so times, even though i don't have the camera plugged in at the moment

Please let me know if i've missed anything, as its the end of the day and my meds are worn off, i can be kind of foggy

When you installed OctoPi, did you change the username in the Raspberry Pi imager? If so, don't do that.

I did actually, two follow up questions then, first, why shouldn't I? As I was just told that not changing the password is unsafe because everyone knows the pi username and rasberry password. And second, if this is the case, why do you think it worked the first time around when i installed it and changed the default login? I don't understand how this would break over time without any input from me.

Thank you for your reply btw, I appreciate it!

I wrote an explanation here the other day:

To clarify: changing the password is recommended, because everyone knows the default username and password. But it explicitly says on OctoPrint.org - Download & Setup OctoPrint to not change the username.

I don't know why it broke in the first place, but all we can work with is the current situation - if the username was changed in the Pi imager it breaks the way OctoPi is built.

Hey thanks so much charlie it worked! Now i just have to figure out how to make this IP static so i never have to deal with this again

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.