NO Outside Network Connection

What is the problem?
Can not connect to OctoPrint outside my network.

What did you already try to solve it?
I have manually gone in 2 files and changed my http port from 80 to XXXX (my own private port).
octopi.txt
config.txt
I changed then forwarded the local port to the port I changed to on the router (port forwarding) and it will not resolve to the login page outside my network (only within the network with the local IP).
Example http://192.168.11.105:8081

Logs (syslog, dmesg, ... no logs, no support)

Additional information about your network (Hardware you are trying to connect to, hardware you are trying to connect from, router, access point, used operating systems, ...)

I do have other devices I connect to outside my network using port forwarding that do work, so I think its something still to do with the RaspberryPi or OctoPrint settings. Any advise would be great.

You really shouldn't to that. This post will tell you more

I recommend using a VPN.

1 Like

So what you're telling me is my login page hosting access to my OctoPrint is useless to a hacker once it is setup for remote access over the internet?

Not useless but you shouldn't rely on it.

1 Like

Put it this way, the login will prevent unauthorized access to OctoPrint but what it does not do is protect from DoS. Do you really want your prints to stutter/fail because someone decided to DoS you? This is especially true on something like a Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

A VPN, especially one that terminates in your router / firewall, adds little to the attack profile already presented to the outside on an appliance designed to withstand attacks. The devices on your local LAN are then protected from the noise generated by unsuccessful attacks.

Simple port forwards from the router / firewall allows the noise through to devices on your local LAN. A RPi (and its OS) running a real-time task like controlling a 3D printer isn't designed to cope with the noise of unsuccessful attacks, not to mention the possibility of those attacks being successful.

Until you have logging on your router / firewall, you are blissfully ignorant of how often the outside world is probing it. On good days, my firewall rejects thousands of attempts and on not so good days, tens of thousands of attempts.

Yeah I get that to, I just have never had an issue with port forwarding in the past, from security cameras to Plex server and home cloud servers. Found making remote access to this one so difficult.

We have provided you with our advice. Since most of us have heeded our own advice, we don't have the experience doing what you are trying to do, so we can't help. Sorry and good luck.

1 Like

Keep in mind that OctoPrint, the OctoPi IMG and the other software like mjpg_streamer are open source. A clever person could find a way to make your life difficult if you open up your printer to the Internet.

1 Like

I get that, I just don't have the option to do a VPN without switching routers. and I mean really who wants to trust their printer with a 3rd party cloud service that could get hacked themselves with possibly 1000's of users sharing their printer through their cloud service. To me that would be more a target to get access that way or am I looking at it wrong, take a chill pill and just use a cloud service... L🤣L .

That you know of.

2 Likes

Hi @foosel you have an absolute awesome piece of software here! And what a great community! Joined you yesterday on Patron to show support. Blessings.

Here is the strange part... it's got to do with the HAProxy because if I forward port 80 to 5000 then I CAN access OctoPrint outside the network. But I edited octopi.txt and haproxy.cfg with my own designated ports. I can no longer access http://ocupri.local I have to use http://192.168.X.X:XXXX (port I assigned). So it has something to do with port 5000 but I tried to change 5000 to a different port and OctoPrint get's an error message and won't start.

Oh, I think I just found it...