OctoPi Release Candidate 0.18.0rc1 needs testers!

Guy Sheffer just published a release candidate for the next release of the OctoPi image, version 0.18.0.

Apart from adding support for the Pi 4 8GB and the Pi 4 and of course shipping with the current stable OctoPrint version 1.4.2 now running under Python 3, 0.18.0rc1 also contains the following changes:

Changes in the image

• OctoPrint 1.4.2
  • OctoPi now uses Python3
  • /home/pi/scripts/safemode (thanks @OutsourcedGuru)
  • Fix #619 Shutdown requires network (Thanks @da4id)
  • Fix #623 from szopen111/fix-issue-621 (Workaround for low resolution cameras)
  • Fix/enable haproxy logging #640 and enable compression at haproxy layer #643 (thanks @tedder)
  • Experimental HLS support #650 #668 #688 (thanks @chudsaviet)
  • Removed old Cura. See #654 and #444.
  • Some usb cameras setting fixed (#657 b64a5441 0d0ea375)
  • Fixes #676 and adds deps to install numpy from wheel for plugins taht need numpy
  • New arm64 builds
  • Set HAProxy Diffie-Hellman key size to 2048 #685

Build notes

If you’ve been waiting for a new OctoPi release, this is your chance to give the candidate a test drive and report any findings back in the ticket on the OctoPi repository so we can make sure the release is solid!

You can find the download links in the ticket.

Confused about the difference between OctoPi and OctoPrint? Read this!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://octoprint.org/blog/2020/11/05/octopi-release-candidate-0-18-0rc1/
2 Likes

I’m running the nightly from 3 days ago, looks to be the same based on code history. Working great, installed a bunch of plugins and all was well, including one that needed numpy.
Will update my other two PIs shortly.

Thanks for all the hard work!

RPI4 2gb running the 32bit version against a MK3S.

After this, we will just have to convince as many people as possible that Python 2 is bad and they should be upgrading to Python 3... :smile:

From what I have seen, this must be quite a stable build. Have had to recommend people run nightlies for a couple of weeks with the newer Pi 4 revisions, or Pi4 8GB, and the vast majority say it has worked great for them. There are one or two issues with the 64 bit builds, but then that is probably the upstream image, not OctoPi. Maybe it will be worth mentioning this on the download page, that technically it is still in beta upstream?

:clap: @guysoft and all contributors.

1 Like

Could not agree more. 0.18.0rc1 is stable 2 prints in but I have been using python3 for a month or maybe two. Python 3 did improve some issues so the time to jump on it is now. Using pi4 4gb and pi3b.

1 Like

@guysoft
:heart:

1 Like

Very excited to see HLS support getting some love.

Interested in seeing how you make out with that. I think you have to use OctoPrint 1.5.0, but I think it's right around the corner for RC as well.

It is. Tuesday if nothing throws a wrench in my plans. Would be today if I didn't have a strict "no releases or release candidates after wednesday" policy (I've been burned before) and would be Monday if I didn't have an appointment there right in the middle that would interfere.

Hey, is there a way to upgrade an existing octopi installation?
Or do I need to reinstall a clean image?

@foosel, is there an option in octoprint to backup all settings and import them to a fresh installation?

There is an option under the settings called 'backup and restore'

You have to re-flash the SD card.

2 Likes

Im currently running Version 0.18.0, running on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4 rc1 32-Bit
Stable so far, have found issues on 64-Bit version causing freezing & connection issues to usb driver as well as plugin crashes.

Switching to 32-Bit has been very stable and no issues to report so far.
Ender 3 V2 Printer

2 Likes

I am running OctoPi 0.18RC1 (arm64) on an RaspberryPi (4GB) and can not report any issues. It works.

But i am wondering why the release of arm64 images have been stopt. Are theire any reasons?

You're running 0.18rc1, which is the latest image. The nightly builds are probably all the same, since there has not been any source changes since end of October. When there are updates, maybe they will be rebuilt.

1 Like

I'm running Version 0.18.0, running on Raspberry Pi 4. I was hoping to get it running on an ender 5 plus, but so far I haven't been successful, It does however work great on my ender 3. I'm not sure why the ender 5 plus doesn't work with it.

In the meanwhile an rc2 was released

I don't think that it fixes your ender 5 problem - but it's worth a try.
If it doesn't fix it just post a new topic with your problem and the logs :slight_smile: