OctoPi WiFi/network connection troubleshooting megatopic

You saw that, right? It has the IP address you're trying to issue from the router. Try another IP address.

In fact—and you can trust me since I'm an old I.T. guy—issue your static addresses from high in the range not low in the range of available IP addresses. All my static addresses are in the 200 zone.

Well, it took half the day, but I tracked it down. SOMEBODY had an unauthorized machine on the network!

All good now, thanks!

Just assembled my Prusa MK3S Kit and it worked without any further fixes, to my complete surprise. Turns out that getting it to run with OctoPi would be the true challenge. I bought a Pi 3A+, flashed OctoPi and configured the wifi following the instructions. My router shows that it has connected to the network and has been assigned an IP. However, I cannot reach it from my computer or any other device on octopi.local or using the IP address directly in the browser. Any ideas what could be the cause of this?

Note that the 3A+ model includes support for the 5Ghz wifi zones as well. Hopefully your wifi router will forward (Bonjour) broadcasts from one zone to another (in case your workstation is attached to, say, the 2.4Ghz zone.

Normally, I'd say to attach an Ethernet cable manually but this model doesn't have one.

Instead, I guess, disconnect the serial cable, plug in a keyboard and display and login locally to the Pi to run commands like ifconfig to see what's going on. Odds are good that your /boot/octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt is the problem here.

Troubleshooting

Hello everybody,

found the link in many other forums about problems with the WLAN connection on a octopi install - so i hope i am in the right place here...
So here is the problem giveing me a headace for since about 3 days and 10 hours forums post reading....
The setup is a raspberry pi B running an octoprint buster lite 0.17.0 image. I got a WLAN Stick attached (Model: TP-Link TL-WN725N).
Already edited the wpa supplicant txt file with notepad ++, adjusted the country code and filled in ssid and psk as told.
Sidenote: Is a password containing stuff like " ! or @" a problem? or a WLAN SSID containing blanks an "," ?
Running this setup i got no problems connecting to octoprint server with a LAN cable but i wont get the pi to join my WLAN.

Got some further technical information here:
Tunneling ssh to the pi and using "ifconfig" shows:

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.178.98 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.178.255
inet6 fe80::929:d3d5:5b4:cdee prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20
inet6 2003:c4:f713:5200:7ab0:56c2:c7f8:461b prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x0
ether b8:27:eb:05:73:89 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)...

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10
loop txqueuelen 1000 (Local Loopback)...

wlan0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether e8:94:f6:21:2c:15 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)...

(I cut of the RX and TX Packetloss information stuff)

Running sudo iwlist wlan0 scan the pi can actually see my WLAN and it gives back:

Cell 04 - Address: C8:0E:14:56:63:25
ESSID:"xyzxyz 2,4GHz"
Protocol:IEEE 802.11bgn
Mode:Master
Frequency:2.442 GHz (Channel 7)
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:144 Mb/s
Extra:wpa_ie= "i cut it out here"
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
Extra:rsn_ie="i cut that out aswell"
IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
IE: Unknown: "here where many capital letters and numbers"
Quality=0/100 Signal level=70/100

What i found irratating is that it says Quality 0/100...
Note: A installation of Volumio works with exact the same hardware just 100% fine (in the same WLAN, with the same WLAN Stick - so i doubt hardware issues).

Does anyone have a clue what is going on?

Edit: Just found out that the wpa supplicant.txt gets changed after i boot up the raspy to a version from this afternoon... - no idea why...

If that's the original Raspberry Pi Model B (not a 3B or a 4B) then it's probably underpowered for all this. I was just talking about this with a user whose OctoPrint is randomly losing its connection to the printer.

Thanks for the fast reply.
Yes it is an original Raspberry Pi Model B (which btw just killed my SD Card so i cant test right now with octopi installation)...
That was a great hint you gave. I thought a 40W 5V DC charger would do but i failed ... Measuring the Voltage between TP1 and TP2 on the raspy gave me values from 5.05V (in idle state) down to 4.55V on "heavy load"(== LED Flashing like crazy during bootup).

So i assume you were right. I will order a proper power supply and check if the problems persist. If not i mark my question as solved.
Thank you so much so far!

2 Likes

Did some measurements... i am not sure yet if the problem is / really was the charger...
Laboratory power supply (150W active PFC control and that stuff): TP1 - TP2 Voltage down to 4.6 V
raspberry pi 3 charger (2,5 Amps 5 V): about the same result (4,6V)
Cheap charger 40 W: 4,55V
That is really close to each other values...
Somehow weird is the fact that i am measuring these values where the USB Port got around 5.05 V (Stable).
Obviously i cant check the waveform and (faster then 50Hz) occuring voltage dips but that power supply issue does not seem like the real problem...
So far ... more tests to be done...

Raspbian triggers an undervoltage condition at/below the 4.64VDC threshold. If you powered the Pi at this level and you're seeing 5.05VDC on the serial line then it's possible that the other connected device is back-powering it...

Thanks for the threshold value, ill keep that in mind.
I wondered aswell if an attached LAN Cable could backpower, but the last measurements i discribed were with nothing else then a wifi plug, a sd card and the power supplies.
Actually the TP1 TP2 voltage is 4.92V without anything attached to the pi although the micro usb got 5.05V... That seems weird to me...

Could you try instead BOARD pins 2 and 39 as seen in the link? It should show you 5V if you're in opposite corners of the GPIO pins.

Measurement 1: 5V to Ground: During Boot-Up voltage drops down to about the same values like before with the weak charger. Actually it seems to be exactly the same values -> 4.53V (cheap charger)

Measurement 2: 5V to Ground: During Boot-Up voltage drops slightly less down to 4.6V with the raspi charger. Somehow new: the voltage comes back to about 5.05 V a coulpe secounds after unplugging the wifi-stick and does not go down immediately after plugging it back in. Around 10 seconds after plugging it back in the voltage drops again. (Tested with TP-Link and Edimax stick, same performance)

Measurement 3: 5V to Ground: Doing the same with my laboratory power supply looks precisely the same as discribed above already.

So summing up: Looks like the same behaviour... maybe slightly different voltage levels. Honestly i dont know what i thought i could expect from these measurements but i would guess TP1 TP2 is just the 5V and Ground on the GPIO Pin. Guessing they are electrically the same...

This, in combination of your wifi dongle appears to be a combination for failure. Remove the wifi dongle, boot it up and test. If it can't maintain a solid 5V using the Raspberry Pi official 5V @ 2.5A power adapter then it's time to replace that Pi with a Raspberry Pi 3B, 3B+ or a 4B.

Hello again,

thanks so far for all the hints and help provided. The raspi couldnt really maintain the 5V on the GPIO Pins at all. So the Wifi Stick will be all the load it has to manage. No more experiments.
With the work done and the hints provided i did a cut here and ordered a raspi 3b+.
The raspi 1 B will serve as only a volumino server in the kids room playing via 2 active speakers.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out there !
eaZy

Hello, I recently installed octoprint in my raspberri pi and its working perfectly. But my main goal with the raspberry is to can use it from outside of my local network. I hope this is the correct forum for asking this, if not I apologize already.

I've been these 2 days before trying to port forwarding the ip of my raspberry to can access from the public IP (sorry if I have some mistake with the concepts I'm just starting to learn the basics things about networking). I made a static IP first to my raspberry, and then Port forwarded this IP with the https port (443).

After trying a lot, I tried to search somebody who can help me as for example the developers of my router, so I got in contact with them and they asked me to send them a backup of my settings on the router, so I did it and this was their answer:

''"Unfortunately, the IP address [100.xx.xx.xx] on WAN is the private network IP address.

There will be not possible to reach device connected on LAN from WAN side.

Only thing you can do is to ask Vodafone to provide you with the public IP address for your PPPoE connection."

The thing is that I live in a rented home and the internet of the home is provided by my landlord, so I have no direct contact with the service, and either I don't want to pay a extra cost for this.

So I wonder if somebody of you would have some idea or solution for this thing, is giving me real headheach.

Thanks in advance!

Exposing your OctoPrint instance on the public internet via a port forward is a Really Bad Idea™. Read this:

3 Likes

Raspberry Pi + OctoPi v0.16.0, v0.17.0 & nightly build v0.18.0 does not appear to be able to work / load with a Raspberry Pi 3B ...... I tried Noobs and raspbian lite and could not get the wifi to load .... (~4 days)

I have just installed OctoPi V0.17.0 on a new Raspberry Pi 3B + without any issues.... in less than a few minutes.

I suspect there is something wrong with raspbian Buster and Jessie that just simply will not allow the wifi device to be found / loaded

We know that your Pi 3B+ works (which is by the way compatible with 5Ghz wifi zones) and the 3B does not (which isn't). Is it possible that you have two wifi zones on your network router and the settings are different?

Try the working microSD from the successful 3B+ install in the 3B and boot that up. If that works then I would suggest that something's going on with your home network.

Also, routers memorize MAC addresses for different computers. It's also possible that you've issued a static IP address to the 3B (or the 3B+) and this again is a difference.

Both my 5ghz and 2.4ghz use the exactly the same settings.... I checked and verified them when trying to get the 3B to connect. I have various items connected to both frequency bands