OctoPi WiFi/network connection troubleshooting megatopic

I would have advised you to more simply upgrade the Raspi rather than adding a dongle.

But the rasperrypi.org forum has people talking about this product. Maybe you just need a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade on your Pi.

Thank you for the answer!
I already had the Pi, and the WiFi adapter was only € 7,- ... so cheaper than buying a Pi 3B :wink:

Will try you're advice, tx!!

edit: @OutsourcedGuru it worked!! Thank you so much for the effort!

1 Like

Octoprint cant be seen on my network.

When I first run octoprint I could see it on my laptop ad mac, then my Pi stop running for some reason? I restarted everything seemed fine until I tried to find it on my network, nowhere to be seen? So i bought a new Raspberry Pi both are 3plus+

Logs I am new to all this computing stuff with a raspberry so not sure what to do, I have tried reading the help on the website but it's not written in 'idotproof'.)

I have the latest version of octoprint, I am running windows 10 on my laptop and the latest OS on my mac, both could see the pi originally?

Can someone help, I want to use it to run my Ender3 printer, the camera was great as that worked 'Picam' too, I have already lost a roll of filament because I cant monitor the prints from work.

Den

If it were me, I'd either visit my router and find out what the IP address is for the Pi (if one has been issued). Or I'd add an Ethernet cable to at least see what's going on. I'd then run commands locally on it like ifconfig to see if the wifi adapter is happy.

Is this OK, I think its sending via my network?

I have to assume we're talking about the upper paragraph of ifconfig (we can't see the device name on the left). It's missing the RUNNING flag which means that it didn't get an IP address from your router. So then, check the /boot/octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt file for accuracy.

Hello everyone,
I have a little problem,
I have PI 3B +,
I can only connect to the device when I'm on the same WIFI. (same IP address)
Only when I'm connected to the same network does everything work fine,
When I'm on another WIFI or 4G mobile it doesn't work,
Thanks for any help!

When you say "on another wifi" do you mean "I'm at Starbucks and I can't get to my 3D printer at home"? Or do you mean "my home router has multiple wifi zones"? If it's the former, that's a good thing; it's to be expected so that hackers can't burn up your apartment, for example. If it's the latter, then I might guess that your home router doesn't forward either the Bonjour name resolution broadcasts (turning octopi.local into an IP address) or it simply doesn't forward any traffic (like blocking your "guest" wifi zone from everything else which is to be expected).

And you get that your 4G cellphone data is basically in-the-cloud and might as well be any-hacker-on-the-planet, right? By definition, it is "out there" on the Internet rather than "in here" within the private confines of your local network.

Thanks for the answer!
I mean a different IP "like Starbucks" I can't connect.
When I'm on the same network everything works fine (same Router)

So, what if I visit Starbucks with my laptop. Do you really want me to be able to control your 3D printer at home?

of course not
For that there is a username and password.
I'm just giving Starbucks an example,
I mean I don't have access to octaprint from anywhere other than at home,
If I'm traveling outside of town,i can't see octaprint data Or control it??

Correct. By definition, this is insecure. It's not so much an OctoPrint thing as it is a your-router thing. It's your router's job to act as a firewall and to block incoming traffic that's not a response to something inside.

That said, if you must have remote safe access (and I'd advise against it) then try searching this forum for remote safe access.

I check it
Thanks for the help!

No offence but if you don't have the skill to figure out why you can't connect to your printer while you're connected to a different network you really shouldn't make things like your 3D printer public available on the internet.

Again no offence. I'm just worried about your safety.

I just have to do port forwarding,
I do it, change username and password now everything works fine.
Thanks for the help

Good Luck @speedpro. When (not if) you get hacked, don't complain that we didn't warn you.

No. Port forwarding makes your printer available to anyone on the Internet and that's bad. Now also install client certificates, as described on this forum.

I really don't understand why hacked into the printer, It's not an ATM machine, no gold here.

Thanks for the Tip
It looks complicated, I'll try to do it.

Once hackers hacked into your Raspberry Pi, they have a foot inside your local network, your PC, your laptop, smartphone...