Octoprint breaking cables?

What is the problem?

Every new cable works once or twice, then stops working completely. Printer won't connect directly to my computer or to the raspberry pi with any cable I've used.

What did you already try to solve it?

Swap cables, test pi usb ports

Have you tried running in safe mode and if so did it solve the issue?

yes, no

Complete Logs

octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support! Not log excerpts, complete logs.)

I will provide logs if you need but all it says is cannot detect serial port so I doubt any helpful information will be there

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

octoprint 1.5.2, ender 3 base software

The ender 3 screen looks like it connects whenever I reboot the Pi, the screen shows the logo like it does when it just starts up, but it doesn't connect.

Ok I got it to work by turning the ender off and then plugging in the cable. For some reason when I took off the tape and let the power go from the pi to the ender it let me connect and now it works. I have absolutely no clue what is happening but that's my solve!

I can tell you exactly what your problem is, broken firmware from Creality. We gets report regularly of this issue.

1 Like

Their hardware is something that can't be fixed with a FW update. My 4.2.2 board has a small fit if it is backpowered, making noises I didn't even know were possible. Definitely something everyone with a Creality V4 board seems to have to do.

1 Like

Because you had the tape on the - pin, not +. The - pin is used as a signal ground and without it, the USB cannot communicate