Octoprint disconnects from printer after a minute or so

I received my Prusa i3 MK3S last week. During the weekend I assembled it and have printed several parts already, each time transferring the gcode through an SD card. Now I am trying to get Octoprint to work on my Raspberry Pi 3B+ to control and monitor the printer. Everything connects, the status changes to "operational", but after about a minute or so it mentions it has lost communication with the printer.

I tried reconnecting, rebooting the raspberry pi, rebooting the printer, ... None of these helped. But since I'm a total newbie to this, I really don't know what else to do.

Terminal mentions the following :

Connecting to: /dev/ttyACM0
Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Opening serial port"
Connected to: Serial<id=0x6864b150, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyACM0', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Starting baud rate detection...
Changing monitoring state from "Opening serial port" to "Detecting baudrate"
Trying baudrate: 115200
Send: N0 M110 N0125
Recv: start
Changing monitoring state from "Detecting baudrate" to "Operational"
Send: N0 M110 N0
Communication timeout while idle, trying to trigger response from printer. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.
Send: N1 M11539
Communication timeout while idle, trying to trigger response from printer. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.
Send: N2 M21
No response from printer after 3 consecutive communication timeouts, considering it dead. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.
Changing monitoring state from "Operational" to "Offline (Error: Too many consecutive timeouts, printer still connected and alive?)"

OctoPrint version : 1.3.11
OctoPi version : 0.16.0
printer : Prusa i3 MK3S
firmware : 3.7.2-2370
browser : Safari 12.1.2
operating system : Mac OS 10.14.6

From what I understand about the Prusa is that there is some way of telling it that your Pi isn't soldered on to some board.

1 Like

Hi, i have the exact same problem, latest firmware (lin advance off since that used to be the problem) followed and read so many things, cant get it to work.... cant even get it to respond to commands over pronterface... it connects but that's about it ... no response from the printer ... its like it is ignoring any incomming gcode through the usb cable on win and linux (rpi4b 4gb)

Prusa?

1 Like

Dude thanks! I have been missing out on octoprint for so long because of this stupid detail. you have no idea how happy I am that it works flawlessly now, Cheers !!

Fixed that for ya.

Hi,
I have the same problem after updating my prusa to the newest firmewire version V3.9.0 yesterday :frowning:
How did you fix it?

He fixed the word dude to dudette because foosel is a woman. Hi didn't fix the problem.

Even if it's the same problem we need the logs to be sure :slight_smile:
I guess you already did what foosel suggested?

I'm guessing that the actual fix involves telling the Prusa with a hardware switch to either use the GPIO-connected connection or not.

It would really help if people would just read the bloody FAQ link I already posted...