OctoPrint (winOS) wont connect to printer post Marlin 2.0x firmware update

What is the problem?

Hi guys and gals, I have a must frustrating issue here: I can't get Octoprint to connect to my printer. I hope the incoming wall of text doesn't dissuade any potential help

OK, to start off I have a Ender 3 Pro with a 4.2.2 board. I have been using it for a few months and its been running fine. I had it set up with a connection to my PC (windows 10) via a USB cable and using OctoPrint on my windows machine (set up via here). I decided to update my firmware to Marlin 2.0 and followed Teaching Tech's guide to do so. The firmware compiled and installed fine. However, I now cannot get a connection to the printer via Octoprint. I also rebuilt my computer and installed OctoPrint, so there could be an issue there? I cannot remember if I used Octoprint after the reinstall but before the firmware update.

I should note that the printer works fine if I am printing from SD card. But I would really, really like to connect via OctoPrint so that I can tweak my settings and troubleshoot.

Any new suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to print already!

What did you already try to solve it?

• Switched out the USBmini cord

• Taped the 5v pin on the USBmini cord

• Double checked the baud rate in the firmware and Octoprint

• Tried connecting to the printer via Pronterface

• I checked for any sort of FOD or bent pins in the USBmini port. Nothing.

• Installed the TH3D unified firmware

• Re-installed the original Creality firmware

• PC rebooted

• Checked my PC connection via the Device Manager. The PC does see something connected, but I'm not sure if its connecting correctly. The printer is listed under "Other Devices" as "USB Serial" (see this image). I am very much out of my depth here, but I am guessing that the printer should be connecting via "Communications Port (COMM1)"? If so, I have no idea how to change it. Any suggestions?

• I updated the FTDI drivers and rebooted my PC.

• I am in the process of setting up OctoPrint on another windows PC to see if its an issue with my workstation. I have been considering dual booting with Ubuntu on my work station but that will have to wait until after the holiday starts.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

No, however this is a totally fresh install of OctoPrint with no plug-ins installed

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

NA

Complete Logs

octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support! Not log excerpts, complete logs.)

Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Opening serial connection"
Connecting to port COM1, baudrate 115200
Changing monitoring state from "Opening serial connection" to "Connecting"
Connected to: Serial<id=0x2119ff9db80, open=True>(port='COM1', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Send: N0 M110 N0125
No answer from the printer within the connection timeout, trying another hello
Send: N0 M110 N0
There was a timeout while trying to connect to the printer
Changing monitoring state from "Connecting" to "Offline"
Connection closed, closing down monitor
Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Detecting serial connection"
Performing autodetection with 7 port/baudrate candidates: COM1@115200, COM1@250000, COM1@230400, COM1@57600, COM1@38400, COM1@19200, COM1@9600
Trying port COM1, baudrate 115200
Connecting to port COM1, baudrate 115200
Handshake attempt #1 with timeout 2.0s
Connected to: Serial<id=0x2119e7fd280, open=True>(port='COM1', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=2.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Handshake attempt #2 with timeout 2.0s
Handshake attempt #3 with timeout 2.0s
Trying port COM1, baudrate 250000
Unexpected error while setting baudrate 250000: SerialException: 'Cannot configure port, something went wrong. Original message: OSError(22, 'The parameter is incorrect.', None, 87)' @ comm.py:_perform_detection_step:3248
Trying port COM1, baudrate 230400
Unexpected error while setting baudrate 230400: SerialException: 'Cannot configure port, something went wrong. Original message: OSError(22, 'The parameter is incorrect.', None, 87)' @ comm.py:_perform_detection_step:3248
Trying port COM1, baudrate 57600
Trying port COM1, baudrate 38400
Trying port COM1, baudrate 19200
Trying port COM1, baudrate 9600
Send: N0 M110 N0*125
Changing monitoring state from "Detecting serial connection" to "Error: No more candidates to test, and no working port/baudrate combination detected."
Changing monitoring state from "Error: No more candidates to test, and no working port/baudrate combination detected." to "Offline (Error: No more candidates to test, and no working port/baudrate combination detected.)"
Connection closed, closing down monitor

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

browser.user_agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/86.0.4240.198 Safari/537.36
connectivity.connection_check: 8.8.8.8:53
connectivity.connection_ok: true
connectivity.enabled: true
connectivity.online: true
connectivity.resolution_check: octoprint.org
connectivity.resolution_ok: true
env.hardware.cores: 8
env.hardware.freq: 3600
env.hardware.ram: 14957584384
env.os.bits: 64
env.os.id: windows
env.os.platform: win32
env.python.pip: 20.3.1
env.python.version: 3.9.0
env.python.virtualenv: true
octoprint.safe_mode: false
octoprint.version: 1.5.2

• Try it with and without an sd card inserted into the printers board - it got some kind of bug that does weird things when you try to connect via usb
  • Try to connect to your printer with pronterface to rule out any octoprint problems

Did you configure the serial ports like this in your marlin config?

/**

* Select the serial port on the board to use for communication with the host.

* This allows the connection of wireless adapters (for instance) to non-default port pins.

* Serial port -1 is the USB emulated serial port, if available.

* Note: The first serial port (-1 or 0) will always be used by the Arduino bootloader.

* :[-1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]

*/

#define SERIAL_PORT 1

/**

* Select a secondary serial port on the board to use for communication with the host.

* Currently Ethernet (-2) is only supported on Teensy 4.1 boards.

* :[-2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]

*/

#define SERIAL_PORT_2 3
  • Tried both in and out - no joy

• I did try with pronterface. It wouldn't connect.

• Correct. A value of 1 for the first port, value of 3 for the second port

Did you ever get a resolution for this? I am having the exact same error with my Ender 3 Pro and the newest Marlin firmware update.

Thanks in advance.

Am I correct that you are running OctoPrint on the PC? Assuming that you are, obviously you need to resolve the unkown device. It is unlikely that the Creality board uses FTDI (too expensive) try loading CH340 drivers.

Hi, as @towlerg suggests, I downloaded and reapplied CH340 drivers. I found them here.