OctoPrint with Octodash disappointing so far

I did it and it didn't work. It still displays the 8.3 format.

I had also uncommented the option below it, the option to scroll long file names on the sd card. I don't suppose that that is why it fails to show the long format, does it?

Had you restarted OctoPrint since flashing the firmware with the new changes? OctoPrint will detect the settings on initial connection I think, but I tend to always restart with major changes.

Are the two WiFi routers on the same local area network (i.e. can devices on one communicate with the other)?

I understand the setup in the shop and the addition of a touch screen to make (local) control of the printer easier and faster. If it were me, I'd take the next step and eliminate transferring g-code files via the SD card.

If you describe your network topology, we might be able to suggest ways to make this work.

I'm very happy with my RPi / OctoPrint setup and I think it is easy and simple :wink: :innocent:

Yes, I did.

No

Do you have a PC that controls it through a web browser? Or is it stand alone with a small touch screen?

My setup is a headless RPi 3B connected via WiFi to the same local area network as my desktop. I have a cell phone and a tablet (two actually) connected as well. I connect to OctoPrint (and control the printer) with Chrome or Firefox on my desktop and the Printoid application on one tablet, Printoid-Lite on my cell phone. I can also use browsers on both tablets and the phone.

I experimented with Octodash on a 7" touchscreen connected to an RPi 3B+ but it currently isn't connected to a printer. I didn't have any problems with it but returned to my current configuration that I've had for a couple of years.

I don't have room for a laptop or a monitor / keyboard next to the printer so the (Android) tablet is my up close and personal connection to the printer. I use a 3D printed stand for the tablet.

Most WiFi routers can be converted to WiFi access points by moving cables and couple of small configuration changes. You can have multiple access points in a single local area network. Perhaps we can help you configure your network(s) so they can communicate with each other.

If I read it correctly you are using a web browser on your tablet to control OctoPrint, is that correct?

I primarily use Printoid (an ~8$ Android app) on my tablet to control OctoPrint.

I looked into this after you've mentioned it. Except for one app, AstroPrint, they all (I think three in total) rely on OctoPrint and that's kind of not making sense to me.

The way I see it that I will have a computer (Mega 2560) being controlled by a second computer (RPi) that in turn is being controlled by a third computer (Android Tablet). I want to take one of them out of the equation.

BTW, the 7" touch screen is not a 'computer' in this case. You can't load apps to it, as far as I know/understand.

I'm back from the long weekend and I will look into the problems with my setup and get back here and post observations.

But its the usual way with the OctoPrint web GUI too:

Printer -> RasPi -> PC with browser connected to OctoPrint.

You are correct and that's exactly how I don't want it to be. I was hoping to have only the 3d printer and the RPi and a small screen to make everything compact.

Then you may have a look on this:

Not all of OctoPrint's functionality is available on a small screen the way you want it. It's designed as a UI you use through the browser. So that means that for it to work for just how you would like it there are necessary concessions, and one of those seems to be the ability to debug anything, which doesn't seem sensible to cut off.

1 Like

In your original post you mentioned that you were satisfied with PronterFace. Why don't you install PronterFace on the RPi with the 7" touchscreen?

See https://github.com/kliment/Printrun/issues/877.

I'm looking into it right now. Thanks for the headsup!

After some reading I learned that the printer is buffering commands and when an external program, like OctoPrint, Pronterfac etc, tells it to stop it has to go through all the commands in the buffer before it can execute the stop command. If that is correct then it is possible that I was just impatience with it, in my experience noted before, and that it would have eventually stopped.

I'll appreciate if someone will try it on their setup, if it runs on Octodash, and report back if it is indeed stopping after the buffer is empty or is it just on my machine.

I can confirm cancelling a print in OctoDash does cancel once the printer's buffer is empty. If it's during a heatup comand then it won't immediately cancel until you reach the set and wait temp unless EMERGENCY_PARSER is enabled in firmware.

I think the 'M20 L' is the reason why I don't see long file name. It says in the config file that it should be requested with a M33. Is there a way to check/change it? It could be a Octodash problem and not OctoPrint.

The M20 L/M33 thing already was discussed here:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.