OctoScreen - a new software to use OctoPrint with LCD

Which model?
There is a square and a rectangle model

I grabbed a case off thingiverse for this combo, works great. Search for hyperpixel, there aren't too many.

Here's the one I used.

1 Like

Is this project dead already?

The Triangular one from the video

hi, its possible to change the skin?
i like the design of printoid or the theme of the repetier server touch ui.
i know, another software but perhaps its possible to create own skins/themes.

1 Like

It would be really great to be able to change the style.

If you are using FBCP to clone the HDMI driver or however that magic works...

Set your octoscreen resolution to 800x533

THEN

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Uncomment the following and change resolution
		framebuffer_width=800
		framebuffer_height=533

add line
		hdmi_cvt 800 533 60 6 0 0 0		

ctrl-o

enter

ctrl-x

sudo reboot

I'm having the same issue, where it switches between the graphical ui and pi login every few seconds.

Tried adding autologin and Octoscreen stopped loading, until I added the command in rc.local to start octoscreen.service

Now I'm back to seeing the alternating Octoscreen gui and pi login screen.

Looks great, and I've got it set up on a Pi 4B and a Hyperpixel 4.0 (rectangular). Definitely missing a screensaver though - its a shame its on all the time. Be worried about the screen going kaput after a while.

Anyone that got OctoScreen working with an PiTFT Plus 480x320 3.5 TFT+Touchscreen?
For me it the layout is to big so it does not fit the screen, whatever i change.

With TouchUI installed the layout fits perfectly on screen.

framebuffer_width and framebuffer_height are unnecessary. The only things you must add/change in /boot/config.txt to get 800x533 resolution working (assuming you've gotten the display to work at its standard resolution) are:

hdmi_cvt=800 533 60 6 0 0 0
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87

The last two lines are needed because hdmi_cvt redefines but does not select CVT group 2 mode 87. This is likely the key issue folks are facing.

RTF Custom mode section of https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md for the full details.

Good comprehensive set of instructions, but you're missing a critical piece. As a rule of thumb, if hdmi_cvt is defined in /boot/config.txt, the following lines must also be added:

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87

because hdmi_cvt redefines but does not enable CVT group 2 mode 87. Without those lines, your hdmi_cvt has no visible effect, as documented in the Custom mode section of https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md

UPDATE: Actually, upon further testing, just setting framebuffer_width and framebuffer_height seems to be sufficient, and you don't need to also set hdmi_*. I guess that makes sense, since that already forces the console framebuffer's dimensions. (The downside: It squishes boot messages into an unreadable mess on small screens, but that may or may not be important to you. hdmi_cvt seems to cause the Pi to switch resolutions at a later stage.)

Is this to be installed on top of an existing octoprint install, or is this a different package? I have an octoprint I need to rebuild and I'd like to interface with it from either the tft or my desktop.

I'm using Octoprint on an old desktop running Ubuntu server. Will Octoscreen work without a pi? Would love to get quick way to control from the printer.

Same question as larachaan :
Have Octoprint on a mini desktop with a 15" touchscreen. All is working fine, except i cannot get Octoscreen to work.
It would be nice to have Octoscreen on Linux as well (or a manual for installation for that matter)

With that large of a screen, why do you need OctoScreen at all? Just load the full web interface? If you just need friendlier buttons maybe TouchUI would be better?

TouchUI is installed but has some minor bugs.
I can use the Octoprint's web interface like you suggested(is what im doing now) , but i always like to try new intefaces to see wich fits best for me.
Its not mandatory for me to use Octoscreen , but it would be a nice feature...

Well I know there is OctoDash as well, which is my preference. And someone else is working on another version that doesn't have the other plugin dependencies and allows for configuration via the normal OctoPrint web interface.

Will try OctoDash in the comming week.That seems what i was looking for.
Thanks for the tip !

I have a Pi3B with Octopi with Desktop activated.(5 inch HDMI touchscreen).
I have installed Octoscreen which -being said -is a wonderful application.
The problem is Octoscreen took control of display. At power on, desktop appears for about 1 minute, after that Octoscreen replaces it. As I don't use all the time the printers, I would like to have also the Destop functional.
Is it possible to swap between the two? Can Octoscreen be launched/turned off like a normal program from inside Pi's Desktop? Or can I exit Octoscreen without shutting down?
I'm only a beginner in Linux/programming.