Pi Undervoltage/power issues: I had a strange lightning bolt/temperature symbol with an exclamation mark popup in my navbar, what does that mean?

I just disabled this:

problem solved (the error).

I used this setup for over 2 years and suddenly after updating octo to v3 (python reason?) I get this message constant, tried several REAL power suppllies etc.Other cables, no reveal. Disabling this pluging solved it.

Now next problem (new since v3):

This also always worked instant...

See: change it not always good :slight_smile:

1 Like

You did not 'solve' anything. Your Pi is probably still reporting issues, you just don't know anymore. Like covering the warning lights in a car, the problem is not gone you just can't see it.

2 Likes

Good addition! I did solve it for me though :slight_smile: I don't care it's messaging on a USB power of 3A and no problems at all...

You've essentially just put black electrical tape over the check engine light in your car. Sure you can continue driving it and you no longer see the warning...

2 Likes

!!! WARNING !!! THIS SUPRESSES THE WARNING MESSAGE/FLAG - ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE COMPLETELY SURE THERE ARE NO OTHER ISSUES AND THAT OTHERWISE THE RASPBERRY PI AND OCTOPRINT IS RUNNING NORMALLY

You can supress the warning by editing the boot.txt file...

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Go to the bottom of the file and add...

# Disable under-voltage warning
avoid_warnings=1

Save the changes then reboot the Pi

!!! WARNING !!! THIS SUPRESSES THE WARNING MESSAGE/FLAG - ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE COMPLETELY SURE THERE ARE NO OTHER ISSUES AND THAT OTHERWISE THE RASPBERRY PI AND OCTOPRINT IS RUNNING NORMALLY

seems a bit excessive - you could just disable the Pi Support Plugin.

Though note that neither options disable the actual throttling of the Pi whilst undervoltage is happening, so the Pi will likely still run worse than if you fixed the power supply. It's just disabling the warning, the problem still exists.

3 Likes

Aka, it's a piece of tape over the check-engine-light.

2 Likes