Printer immediately disconnects when print starts with SerialException: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)

What is the problem?

I started setting up octoprint this morning because I found my old RPI 3B Last night and recently got an Ender 3 V2 for Christmas. However, when I try to print a file the printer immediately disconnects and also seems to reboot. Octoprint is saying that my PI is undervolted however the red light is static which means that it shouldn't be undervolted. I use a charger for the RPI which does 5V with 3A which I believe would be sufficient but I don't know for sure. So do I need a new power supply?
While making this post the printer also started to randomly make a weird wiring noise and only stopped when I unplugged it from the RPI. I have no idea whether this is something related to this or not.

What did you already try to solve it?

Changing USB ports and cables

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No

Systeminfo Bundle

octoprint.log (370.6 KB)
serial.log (1.0 KB)

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version 1.9.3, OctoPi version 1.0.0, printer: Ender3 V2, firmware: Marlin 2.0.8, browser: Opera GX and Chrome, Raspberry PI 3B, webcam: Logitech C920

Hello @Alexander_Kanev !

The read light just indicates that there is power. It does not tell anything about the quality.

Your Pi is definitely underpowered:

2024-01-17 15:11:49,610 - octoprint.plugins.pi_support - WARNING - This Raspberry Pi is reporting problems that might lead to bad performance or errors caused by overheating or insufficient power.
!!! UNDERVOLTAGE REPORTED !!! Make sure that the power supply and power cable are capable of supplying enough voltage and current to your Pi.

For you have a Creality printer, try with/without SD card in the printer's SD card slot.

Also try.

Hi, @Ewald_Ikemann
I already don't have the SD card in my printer but I just wanted to clarify something. In the post you sent the tape needs to go on the cable that connects the PI to the printer right? Also, will I then have to turn on the printer's power supply for it to work?

You always have to turn on the printer's power supply to make the printer work. With or without that tape.

Welp, this will probably fix things

So far it's going well, the print has started and there aren't any errors. I also no longer have an undervolting message on octoprint.

The solution: I was an idiot and didn't turn on my printer's power which caused the RPI to undervolt

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.