Raspberry cam v1 & v2 not detected on new camera-streamer stack

Camera model

Raspberry PI Cam v1 Clone (Worked on the old camera stack for some years)
It is not the exact same offer page, the original doesn't exist anymore, but should be the same model.

Also tried an original Raspberry Pi NoIR Camera Module 8MP v2

What is the problem?

After installing new from scratch following the documentation, the camera is not detected

What did you already try to solve it?

• Installed OctoPi with Raspberry Pi imager
    • applied backup from older version => camera v1 was detected by libcamera-hello --list-cameras but stream didn't start on port 8080
    • Installed OctoPi with Raspberry Pi imager again, this time no backup applied
    • camera not detected by libcamera-hello
    • upgraded everything with apt update && apt upgrade -h && reboot now
    • camera still not detected
    • gone through the GUI post installation wizard and installed the Rasp Pi upgrade package
    • no camera detected
    • replaced the long ribbon cable with a short 15cm one. nothing changed
    • replaced cam v1 clone with original R Pi v2 NoIR cam, still not detected
    • no camera detected

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes, but no difference

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)
octoprint-systeminfo-20240121153852.zip (25.2 KB)

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

* OctoPrint 1.9.3 * Python 3.9.2 * OctoPi* 1.0.0cam (build 2023.10.09.154319) * Raspberry Pi 4

The system was running on Octoprint 1.9.3 with OctoPi 0.17 for at least some years without problems. Then the webcam stream in the GUI didn't work anymore, but I didn't want to bother and updated to the new stack with the latest octopi image. Hence, the current problem is unrelated to the one before the install.

As described above, I changed cables and camera. Hence, I am certain it's no hardware issue. Also the camera was listed with libcamera-hello after applying the backup. But then the /boot/camera-streamer directory was missing... Hence, I flashed the SD card once again in the hope it works with the bare image.

After that I remembered I should do an package update and did with sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

Still the camera is not detected.

Output journalctl -u camera-streamer-libcamera:

Sep 22 02:24:19 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: Starting camera-streamer libcamera...
Sep 22 02:24:22 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: camera-streamer-libcamera.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Sep 22 02:24:22 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: camera-streamer-libcamera.service: Skipped due to 'exec-condition'.
Sep 22 02:24:22 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in camera-streamer libcamera being skipped.
Jan 21 16:12:02 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: camera-streamer-libcamera.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
Jan 21 16:12:02 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: Stopped camera-streamer libcamera.
Jan 21 16:12:02 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: Starting camera-streamer libcamera...
Jan 21 16:12:02 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: camera-streamer-libcamera.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jan 21 16:12:02 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: camera-streamer-libcamera.service: Skipped due to 'exec-condition'.
Jan 21 16:12:02 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in camera-streamer libcamera being skipped.
Jan 21 16:12:12 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: camera-streamer-libcamera.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 2.
Jan 21 16:12:12 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: Stopped camera-streamer libcamera.
Jan 21 16:12:12 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: Starting camera-streamer libcamera...

Interesting is the changing date information! I guess, this was the first boot after installation.

An the output for journalctl -u camera-streamer:

Jan 21 16:20:06 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: Starting camera-streamer...
Jan 21 16:20:06 octoprint-01 camera-streamer-control[539]: Running start for camera-streamer-libcamera.service...
Jan 21 16:20:06 octoprint-01 camera-streamer-control[539]: ... done.
Jan 21 16:20:06 octoprint-01 camera-streamer-control[539]: Adding path unit for autolaunch of camera-streamer-usb@default
Jan 21 16:20:07 octoprint-01 camera-streamer-control[539]: Running start for camera-streamer-usb-default.path...
Jan 21 16:20:07 octoprint-01 camera-streamer-control[539]: ... done.
Jan 21 16:20:07 octoprint-01 systemd[1]: Finished camera-streamer.

I am pretty sure the cameras are ok. No idea what to check next...

Edit: I stumbled upon a USB webcam and connected it to the RPi4. This works now...
But I would rather use the the RPi Cams if possible.
Hence, every suggestion is appreciated. Thanks. :slight_smile:

You should use sudo apt full-upgrade -y to pick up any new dependencies for the upgraded packages on the PiOS

Thanks @5ft24

But I guess my SD card is dying.

Didn't mention in original post, but I had a /boot/camera-streamer file turned binary. Deleting it and copying it over from my other new octopi installation made it work again.

Then couldn't do the full-upgrade, as I had a dpkg file turned corrupt.
Deleting it, reinstalling the affected package now another file is corrupt

Now the the /etc/mailcap file has some binary crap somewhere inbetween. Again not on the second system...

I'll order a some new SD cards now and continue then. Wasted too much time already...