Camera-streamer configuration on the new camera stack for OctoPi

:raised_hand: Got an issue with the new camera stack? Open a new topic!

If you are running into any issues with the new camera stack of which the configuration is described below, DO NOT REPLY TO THIS TOPIC, open a new one please. This is a documentation topic, not a support topic.

An alternative OctoPi-UpdateToDate build replaces mjpg-streamer and webcamd with a new camera streaming setup based on camera-streamer. This build can currently be found as "OctoPi (new camera stack)" in the RPi Imager:

It will most likely become the default in the future.

camera-streamer supports libcamera based cameras incl. the RPiCam v3 and newer ArduCams, as well as USB cameras. The setup on the OctoPi image allows easy configuration of camera parameters through configuration files in /boot/camera-streamer (or the camera-streamer on the root of the card if is used as a thumb drive), hot-plugging of USB cameras and also includes multi-cam support.

Service

A central camera-streamer service is available that takes care of camera control. You can start/stop/restart it via systemctl (sudo systemctl {start|stop|restart} camera-streamer). The log is accessible via journalctl -u camera-streamer.

The individual cameras have their own service files. Libcamera based cameras are managed by camera-streamer-libcamera. USB cameras are managed by a service unit camera-streamer-usb@<name> and a path unit camera-streamer-usb-<name>.path. The path unit starts the service unit as needed.

Libcamera configuration

A single libcamera device can be configured through /boot/camera-streamer/libcamera.conf.

You have the following configuration options:

• PORT: The port for the camera-streamer instance to listen on. Must be unique among all configured cameras. Defaults to 8080.
  • WIDTH: Resolution width to request from the camera sensor, defaults to 1920.
  • HEIGHT: Resolution height to request from the camera sensor, defaults to 1080.
  • VIDEO_HEIGHT: Resolution height to use for the video stream, defaults to 720.
  • SNAPSHOT_HEIGHT: Resolution height to use for the snapshots, defaults to 1080.
  • FRAMERATE: Framerate to configure, defaults to 15, so 15fps.
  • NBUFS: Number of buffers to use, defaults to 2 if unset.
  • OPTIONS: Further options to pass to camera-streamer. Defaults to --camera-options="AfMode=2" --camera-options="AfRange=2" to attempt to enable auto-focus.

:warning: Please note that apart from OPTIONS and NBUFS, all of these fields must be set!

USB camera configuration

USB cameras can be configured through individual usb-<name>.conf files in /boot/camera-streamer. Per default, the image ships with a single usb-default.conf file that will trigger on availability any USB webcam.

You have the following configuration options:

• PORT: The port for the camera-streamer instance to listen on. Must be unique among all configured cameras. Defaults to 8080.
  • DEVICE: Device path for the camera, defaults to /dev/v4l/by-id/usb-*-video-index0. If you want to run multiple USB cameras, you should change this. See below for information.
  • FORMAT: Image format to set on the camera, defaults to YUYV.
  • WIDTH: Resolution width to set on the camera, defaults to 1280.
  • HEIGHT: Resolution height to set on the camera, defaults to 720.
  • FRAMERATE: Framerate to configure, defaults to 15, so 15fps.
  • NBUFS: Number of buffers to use, defaults to 2 if unset.
  • OPTIONS: Further options to pass to camera-streamer.

:warning: Please note that apart from OPTIONS and NBUFS, all of these fields must be set!

VIDEO_HEIGHT and SNAPSHOT_HEIGHT are not offered for USB cameras, since it depends on the camera model whether they will work well or not. You can set them using --camera-snapshot.height and --camera-video.height via OPTIONS if so desired, but note that this might require some tinkering on your part, and/or increasing the available GPU memory.

Available additional options to be included in OPTIONS

To learn about the available options of you specific camera, navigate to its /control endpoint, e.g. http://octopi.local/webcam/control. That will show you output roughly like this:

Anything listed under "CAMERA" can be provided as a -camera-options setting in OPTIONS, e.g. --camera-options=AwbEnable=1. Accordingly, "SNAPSHOT" may be provided via --camera-snapshot.options, "STREAM" via --camera-stream.options and "VIDEO" via --camera-video.options.

Additionally, any of camera-streamer's command line parameters can be provided as well:

$ camera-streamer --help
Usage:
$ camera-streamer <options...>

Options:
  --camera-path=%s            - Chooses the camera to use. If empty connect to default.
  --camera-type=arg           - Select camera type. Values: v4l2, libcamera, dummy.
  --camera-width=%u           - Set the camera capture width.
  --camera-height=%u          - Set the camera capture height.
  --camera-format=arg         - Set the camera capture format. Values: DEFAULT, YUYV, YUV420, YUYV, NV12, NV21, MJPG, MJPEG, JPEG, H264, RG10, GB10P, RG10P, BG10P, RGB565, RGBP, RGB24, RGB, BGR.
  --camera-nbufs=%u           - Set number of capture buffers. Preferred 2 or 3.
  --camera-fps=%u             - Set the desired capture framerate.
  --camera-allow_dma[=1]      - Prefer to use DMA access to reduce memory copy.
  --camera-high_res_factor=%f - Set the desired high resolution output scale factor.
  --camera-low_res_factor=%f  - Set the desired low resolution output scale factor.
  --camera-options=%s         - Set the camera options. List all available options with `-camera-list_options`.
  --camera-auto_reconnect=%u  - Set the camera auto-reconnect delay in seconds.
  --camera-auto_focus[=1]     - Do auto-focus on start-up (does not work with all camera).
  --camera-force_active[=1]   - Force camera to be always active.
  --camera-vflip[=1]          - Do vertical image flip (does not work with all camera).
  --camera-hflip[=1]          - Do horizontal image flip (does not work with all camera).
  --camera-isp.options=%s     - Set the ISP processing options. List all available options with `-camera-list_options`.
  --camera-snapshot.options=%s- Set the JPEG compression options. List all available options with `-camera-list_options`.
  --camera-snapshot.height=%u - Override the snapshot height and maintain aspect ratio.
  --camera-stream.disabled[=1]- Disable stream.
  --camera-stream.options=%s  - Set the JPEG compression options. List all available options with `-camera-list_options`.
  --camera-stream.height=%u   - Override the stream height and maintain aspect ratio.
  --camera-video.disabled[=1] - Disable video.
  --camera-video.options=%s   - Set the H264 encoding options. List all available options with `-camera-list_options`.
  --camera-video.height=%u    - Override the video height and maintain aspect ratio.
  --camera-list_options[=1]   - List all available options and exit.
  --http-listen=%s            - Set the IP address the HTTP web-server will bind to. Set to 0.0.0.0 to listen on all interfaces.
  --http-port=%u              - Set the HTTP web-server port.
  --http-maxcons=%u           - Set maximum number of concurrent HTTP connections.
  --rtsp-port[=8554]          - Set the RTSP server port (default: 8854).
  --webrtc-ice_servers=%s     - Specify ICE servers: [(stun|turn|turns)(:|://)][username:password@]hostname[:port][?transport=udp|tcp|tls)].
  --webrtc-disable_client_ice[=1]- Ignore ICE servers provided in '/webrtc' request.
  --log-debug[=1]             - Enable debug logging.
  --log-verbose[=1]           - Enable verbose logging.
  --log-stats[=1]             - Print statistics every duration.
  --log-filter=%s             - Enable debug logging from the given files. Ex.: `-log-filter=buffer.cc`

Command line:
[...]

For example, you can do a 180Β° rotate via --camera-hflip=1 --camera-vflip=1, if your camera supports that.

:warning: Please note that the service files already use --camera-path, --camera-type, --camera-width, --camera-height, --camera-format, --camera-nbufs, --camera-fps and --http-port, and in case of the libcamera also --camera-snapshot.height and --camera-video.height, so don't set those yourself in OPTIONS but rather use the provided direct settings like PORT, WIDTH, HEIGHT, etc for those.

Configuring multiple cameras

The configuration shipped on the image will support running either a libcamera device or a USB camera device. To support multiple cameras (one libcamera and/or one or more USB cameras), you'll need to add configuration files to tell the camera setup what to start up.

The image ships with some helper scripts to assist in the initial multicam setup. You'll need to log into your Pi via SSH or with a display and keyboard to use these.

It is recommended to first remove the default USB webcam:

sudo remove-usb-camera default

To add a new USB camera named <name>, first plug it into your Pi, then run

sudo add-usb-camera <name>

The script will select a free port and then ask you to select your camera from a list of possible options. Enter the number of your camera and confirm with Enter. This will create a corresponding configuration for your camera and also fire it up right away.

Rinse and repeat for any more cameras.

You may edit the configuration files to change any of the included parameters, but it is strongly recommended to keep DEVICE as is as that is what allowed the camera setup to recognize your specific camera.

Be aware that only the camera listening on port 8080 will be available under the /webcam/ endpoint and thus readily available for use in OctoPrint!

:warning: Please note that starting with version 0.2.5, camera-streamer also no longer listens on all network interfaces by default and has to be told to do so via --http-listen=0.0.0.0 - you'll need to add that to OPTIONS if you don't intend to add a forward rule for your additional cameras to haproxy.

1 Like

Feel free to share your optimized .conf files here, but please keep discussions about the new stack in the Feedback ticket on GitHub.

Is there any documentation on what the various fields mean after the "- available option: "?

I'm guessing the first number of "(0000000c, type=1)" is an index of some sort and the "type=" describes what kind of input is expected. The data in "[ ]" looks to be the expected range of input values but I'm a bit confused by "type=7".

Also is there anyway to see what the current value of any one of these options is?

As far as I can see, at least the libcamera (RPi cam et all) related stuff comes from libcamera itself.

The types seem to be defined here and a lot of the options are found here.

Any idea how I could get two cameras to work under two instances? I'm trying to use paukstelis' octoprint_deploy. And I can get as far as making two instances with the new camera rework no cameras show up adding this way. I'm not fluent in code, but I'm willing to learn.

This deploy script doesn't use the camera-streamer application and therefore needs a different configuration.
Check the git pages wiki or open a new topic with this question.

This is so awesome!! I see that I can get WebRTC via http://octopi.local:8080/webrtc but what's the best way to get it into the frontend? I've tried setting the stream URL to webrtc://octopi.local:8080/webrtc but that doesn't work. Perhaps there's something different about how the webrtc offer works with the new camera-streamer setup than what I had in my PR?

The webrtc protocol is different for different streamers, the PR is quite specific to the aiortc implementation. Since there is webcam plugin support in OctoPrint 1.9.0, support for different streaming formats can be added with plugins. I've made one for the new webcam stack which I intend to finish and publish in a month or so.

3 Likes

Ah i thought the WebRTC offer flow was pretty standard but I think you are right that it in fact isn't. I wonder if we should replace the default implementation with something that can work directly with camera-streamer since that's the future. Could make it easier to go fully into webrtc in the future

Edit: I tried to get @jneilliii's iframe webcam plug-in running with this but couldn't make it work for some reason.

use Charlie's beta plugin

A post was split to a new topic: IR camera flashing with new camera stack

Great I'm up and running with @Charlie_Powell's plugin! It just worked!

Now to figure out how to tell camera streamer to send the raw 1080p h264 stream without re-encoding it. Looks like right now it's consuming ~36.1% CPU at 720p so theres very likely transcoding happening (though probably openmax accelerated at least).

@johnboiles

It does not re-encode. The WebRTC when running does require encrypting the stream in transit. This depending on device costs between 20-40% of a single CPU core.

All available configs can be found here: libcamera/control_ids.yaml at 06bbff9c23d5a85acd65595216c6b75094891f72 Β· raspberrypi/libcamera Β· GitHub.

The develop branch changes those value to human readable, it will at some point land in main, alongside some web interface to modify settings live.

• CSI/USB: NBUFS: Number of buffers to use, defaults to 2 if unset.

I think we could fine tune this to 3.

USB: * FORMAT: Image format to set on the camera, defaults to YUYV.

My advise would be to try JPEG. YUYV most of times will overrun USB bus and have quite choppy framerate. Only older cameras do not support JPEG, but the usage of YUYV could be provided as a fallback.

Hi @ayufan! Fantastic work on camera-streamer!!

So by default if my camera can output h264, then it will stream that out directly and it just works?

I've noticed I can run the mjpeg compatibility stream (eg from Cura) at the same time that the h264 WebRTC stream is running (which is really neat). So there must be at least one transcode happening right? Is the mjpeg stream re-encoded from the h264 stream, or is the h264 stream re-encoded from the mjpeg stream? Or are they both encoded from the YUYV stream?

@johnboiles

The h264 stream from cameras is hit-miss, since you cannot force key frames. The only supported captures are: YUYV (and variants), JPEG, RGB, and various raw formats from CSI cameras.

Depending on input format the pipeline differs, at least there always have to be a single encoding block used to encode either JPEG or H264, or sometimes both:

• YUYV => JPEG | H264
  • JPEG => YUYV => H264
  • RB10 (bayer 01 bit) => via ISP => YUYV => JPEG | H264
  • if downscaling is used it might also trigger: JPEG => YUYV to downscale => JPEG | H264
1 Like