I am two weeks into 3D printing, but have already dove into upgrading my set up: Ender 3 (non-Pro), SKR E3 Mini v1.2 (TMC 2209 Drivers, updated to Marlin 2.0x bugfix) Using Cura 4.3 with no issues so far.
I added a Raspberry Pi 4 (4gb) on October 26 to run Octopi (0.17 test). Networking was all set up and ready to go. Bed size on Octopi was set to 220mm x 220mm x 250mm with the Origin set to Bottom Left. Other options are default, including a 6000mm per minute travel limit. I started with trying a gcode file I had printed before. The printer was already in the home position before starting the print.
Cura 4.3 makes a line of filament on the left side of the plate, but running from the Octopi, it both sped up really fast and ignored the Y end, running off the plate which made a horrendous sound which I believe to be either the belts slipping or the stepper motor binding. I could best describe it as "brrrrrrrrtttt." It also extruded on the hotbed wiring.
I attempted to stop print through Ender 3 menu, but it ignored it before changing direction on the Y axis and going out-of-bounds in the other direction with yet another "brrrrrrrrt." I flipped the power switch off to stop the potentially damaging madness. I unfortunately did not save any logs.
After this failure, I've noticed the Ender 3 LCD reads "TMC Connection Error" but will still take code from Octopi. Homing with the Octopi is also way off, with the Z axis nearly 1 cm away from the build-plate.
I rechecked my Cura and Octopi settings for bedsize, speed, etc. All looks fine (6000mm/minute travel limit seems high, but the gcode was only for 50mm/s.) I've searched the forum for similar issues.
I'm admittedly out of my league, but it almost seems like it's units are wrong? That would explain the super speed and ignoring the dimension of the build plate.
2nd: attempt: I sent it move commands to make sure everything was alright. Seemed ok. Tried a different print and the same thing happened.
SOLVED: (Bad explanation, but easy fix ahead) Several days of reading dozens of support threads later, this is an issue with the Marlin 2.0x firmware. There is no physical EEPROM on the board, and when booting up the printer, it attempts to read it's settings from the Pi, which just doesn't work right.
THE (EASY) SOLUTION: I have a small size SD card that stays in the printer. Disconnect the Raspberry Pi BEFORE powering on the 3D printer and let it load it's setting. Then connect the Pi and turn it on. It's possible some changes in the firmware would resolve this issue completely, but that's effort.