Temperature reporting now working with new ender 3 V2

The username is pi and the password is what you (hopefully) changed it to. Using these credentials in PuTTY (and/or WinSCP) should put you into the /home/pi (also known as ~) directory. The plugin .py file goes in the ~/.octoprint/plugins directory. Directories that start with a period are "hidden" but can be seen with "ls -a" in the PuTTY terminal or by setting Show Hidden in WinSCP Preferences.

After placing the file in the correct location, OctoPrint must be restarted. During that process, it will find and install the plugin(s) placed in that directory.

Files in /mjpg-streamer/plugins may augment the camera, but will do nothing for OctoPrint.

Ok I've fixed the placement of the fix file. Once again thank you for taking the time to explain everything. Being a bit rustyt would be an understatement.

Starting a small print now to test to see if the temp shows up after the print completes and shuts down with tasmota. Cross your fingers.

Temperature is responding following the completion of the print!

ANNND SUCCESS Tasmota turned off the printer following print completion.

Thank you b-morgan.

This process will be much easier in the next release of OctoPrint with the single file plugin support in plugin manager. Glad you got it worked out @UltimaSE.

Thank you! I just got my Ender 3 V2 yesterday and hopefully I can help out with the steps I used to copy the Ender3V2TempFix.py file from my Windows 10 machine to my OctoPi.

I am not very good with Linux at all and had my buddy walk me through the steps. There is probably an easier way, but this is how I did mine.

I actually used Windows PowerShell. First I downloaded the Ender3V2TempFix.zip file and extracted the Ender3V2TempFix.py to my desktop. Then I opened up Windows PowerShell and typed

cd desktop

I did this so I would be in the same directory as the extracted Ender3V2TempFix.py file.

Then I typed:

scp Ender3V2TempFix.py pi@octopi.attlocal.net:/home/pi

I guess I could have put the file directly into the .octopi/plugins directory, but my buddy didn't know if the permissions would be right. So he said we'd copy the file from the home directory to the plugins directory after we SSH into OctoPi. Your address might be pi@192.168.0.xxx

Then I ssh'd into OctoPi by typing:

ssh pi@octopi.attlocal.net

My last step was to copy Ender3V2TempFix.py from the Home directory to the .octoprint/plugins directory by typing:

cp Ender3V2TempFix.py .octoprint/plugins

The temp didn't work after restarting the system, so I shut down everything unplugged the power supply and plugged it back in and everything worked perfectly!

Thanks again for this wonderful community!

Ricky

@b-morgan, thanks a lot for this plugin! My Ender 3 v2 was not showing the temps DURING the print (scrolling stops), unlike others... but this plugin fixed it. My unit shipped with Creality's 0.0.9 firmware, (which had another bug that made it print at 285% Feed Rate by default!!)
Installing 1.0.1 from their site (Marlin 2.0.1) fixed the 285% FR, but still had temperature display issues in Octoprint.

As a side note, (for @sebcbien) the v2 has a 32bit board, no more messing with the Arduino for upgrades. Put "firmware.bin" on an sd card, put it in the ender 3v2, and power it up. It only takes a few seconds, and the new firmware is automatically installed! The SD card does not even have to be blank (I used the SD that came with it)

Switching to the bugfix 2.0.x branch of Merlin on GitHub is also an option, but figured I'd try Creality's firmware first.

Whoooooo hooooooooooo ! Thanks a lot for this information !!!

Thanks for the temperature fix @b-morgan. Another issue I noticed is we don't see the tune screen or any status info like on my ender 3 pro.

I was wondering if we could flash regular marlin. Wasn't sure what the display would show? Any ideas what processor we need to select for the platform.io?

The board is called BOARD_CREALITY_V4
and it got an STM32F103RE ARM Cortex-M4F processor afaik

1 Like

Just to add to the weirdness of v2. I have noticed that my GCODE snippets in octoprint arent executed. For example, when I cancel I have GCODE to turn everything off and move the bed to the front, but when I hit cancel, nothing happens (other then the print stopping).

FYI, had same issue with Ender 3 V2 and no temp graph, but the provided Ender3V2TempFix.py in this thread fixed the issue. Thanks, Jim

1 Like

Id like to thank @b-morgan and @noirvent for this fix, I was noticing more than just the non printing issues, so let me soak test this and see if any of the other temp reporting issues I was seeing re-arise (i.e. temp reported by OctoPrint via ender is 1-2 degrees different than ender reports on its screen - Ender being expected values, octoprints being low).

It still seems suppress temp msgs in the console is not working likely do to pattern matching Creality's divergent temp responses, would it be much more work to incorporate this fix onto that page as well?

I have done plenty of Marlin customization, my only concern now is that Creality is/has not published the source to their git repo (yet?) and I have no idea what impact any customs from bugfix 2 will have on the new color screen.

The color screen shows temps during octoprint printing but not z-height and there is no live Z change screen I can find during octoprint printing on ender screen. But maybe for another thread I guess.

2 Likes

Yeah - this is a Creality bug.... They'll have to fix it - or you can use a 3rd party firmware to fix the problem.

I offer daily firmware builds on a subscription basis for those who don't want to learn to do it all themselves. https://marlin.crc.id.au/

It has sets for both BLTouch enabled and stock configurations.

Thanks for this fix, worked great after I copied the file then rebooted!!

I'd like to report that this fix also works for the Ender 3 Pro that is currently shipping with a 32-bit Creality 4.2.2 board.

2 Likes

Thanks for the fix, I can also report it fixed my temperature issues on my Ender 3 V2. Good job.

I just wanted to chime in and maybe this can be merged with another post about the Creality CR-6 SE which is suffering from the same problem and this fixed it. I just got my CR-6 today and I have had a ton of problems getting Simplfy3d to work right, especially my starting and ending scripts.

For anyone else experiencing this; the plugin mentioned above is the solution, and it works great.

With permission from @b-morgan who made the plugin fix, I have released a version on GitHub, meaning it can be installed via. url, or downloaded directly from GitHub; https://github.com/SimplyPrint/OctoPrint-Ender3V2TempFix

Will soon attempt to release it as an official plugin, visible in the plugin manager.

On a completely different note; while testing on two Ender-3 v2's, we experienced connection issues on both. The fix here is quite simple; disconnect the micro-USB cable going from Raspberry Pi to printer, turn off the printer and keep it shut down for at least 10 seconds, turn on the printer, wait a few seconds until it's properly booted, connect the cable again and it should work. The printer wasn't a big fan of the auto-detect for the baudrate, but setting it to 115200 manually did the trick.

Shouldn't this go into mainline? Or does it have to be a plug in? Good job making it easier for others anyways.

Reason it is not in core OctoPrint is it is Creality not adhering to standards as far as I know. Plugins mean it can be maintained outside of OctoPrint's release cycle, so say for example Creality updated their firmware to make it different again tomorrow, and shipped it, a plugin could be created, rather than users needing to wait for the next update.

Also, fixes for every kind of printer out there are a very bad thing to go into core, when Gina (OctoPrint creator) doesn't have access to every kind of firmware etc. etc. to work on updating OctoPrint - it would be very inefficient.