SOLVED: Tracking down issue with Pi4/0.17

I am two weeks into 3D printing, but have already dove into upgrading my set up: Ender 3 (non-Pro), SKR E3 Mini v1.2 (TMC 2209 Drivers, updated to Marlin 2.0x bugfix) Using Cura 4.3 with no issues so far.

I added a Raspberry Pi 4 (4gb) on October 26 to run Octopi (0.17 test). Networking was all set up and ready to go. Bed size on Octopi was set to 220mm x 220mm x 250mm with the Origin set to Bottom Left. Other options are default, including a 6000mm per minute travel limit. I started with trying a gcode file I had printed before. The printer was already in the home position before starting the print.

Cura 4.3 makes a line of filament on the left side of the plate, but running from the Octopi, it both sped up really fast and ignored the Y end, running off the plate which made a horrendous sound which I believe to be either the belts slipping or the stepper motor binding. I could best describe it as "brrrrrrrrtttt." It also extruded on the hotbed wiring.

I attempted to stop print through Ender 3 menu, but it ignored it before changing direction on the Y axis and going out-of-bounds in the other direction with yet another "brrrrrrrrt." I flipped the power switch off to stop the potentially damaging madness. I unfortunately did not save any logs.

After this failure, I've noticed the Ender 3 LCD reads "TMC Connection Error" but will still take code from Octopi. Homing with the Octopi is also way off, with the Z axis nearly 1 cm away from the build-plate.

I rechecked my Cura and Octopi settings for bedsize, speed, etc. All looks fine (6000mm/minute travel limit seems high, but the gcode was only for 50mm/s.) I've searched the forum for similar issues.

I'm admittedly out of my league, but it almost seems like it's units are wrong? That would explain the super speed and ignoring the dimension of the build plate.

2nd: attempt: I sent it move commands to make sure everything was alright. Seemed ok. Tried a different print and the same thing happened.

SOLVED: (Bad explanation, but easy fix ahead) Several days of reading dozens of support threads later, this is an issue with the Marlin 2.0x firmware. There is no physical EEPROM on the board, and when booting up the printer, it attempts to read it's settings from the Pi, which just doesn't work right.

THE (EASY) SOLUTION: I have a small size SD card that stays in the printer. Disconnect the Raspberry Pi BEFORE powering on the 3D printer and let it load it's setting. Then connect the Pi and turn it on. It's possible some changes in the firmware would resolve this issue completely, but that's effort.

1 Like

Hi @MelvinMcSnatch!

First I would check is the printer prints correctly from SD card after this trouble.

Even if you switch off the printer, there should be logfiles inside OctoPrint.

It doesn't have any issues straight from the SD Card.

SOLVED: (Bad explanation, but easy fix ahead) Several days of reading dozens of support threads later, this is an issue with the Marlin 2.0x firmware. There is no physical EEPROM on the board, and when booting up the printer, it attempts to read it's settings from the Pi, which just doesn't work right.

THE (EASY) SOLUTION: I have a small size SD card that stays in the printer. Disconnect the Raspberry Pi BEFORE powering on the 3D printer and let it load it's setting. Then connect the Pi and turn it on. It's possible some changes in the firmware would resolve this issue completely, but that's effort.

2 Likes

bruv, i have the same problem and will test this. i hope this works. So annoying and risky. Thank your for the easy fix. But we need a bugfix for that.

1 Like

Sir you are a savior!
I have been trying to get Octopi working for the last month but I kept having this same issue. Not every time but far to frequently to trust it. Everything seemed fine but when prints would start, the printer would shoot across the x axis and grind till I killed power.
I followed your instructions and so far so good. Any chance you have found a more permanent solution?
Thanks for figuring this one out.

Thanks, this really helped me out!

@MelvinMcSnatch - thanks for starting this thread. I'm about a week into my own learning cycle with 3D printing and a quick google search of the issue I was having on the Ender 3 Pro led me to this page.

Issue: printing through OctoPrint would spit out a 2 inch strip of filament on the left side of the bed, then send the extruder out of bounds on the right side of the bed. Your fix worked great.

This morning I found a permanent solution at this link: Put tape on the 5V pin - Why and how . I'm sure veterans of this site already know this; but maybe it will save a newbie (like myself) a little time troubleshooting.

1 Like

This is the permanent solution that fixed it for me! After a Merlin firmware update my Ender 3 ignored and rammed itself into the left stepper motor. Adding a piece of tape over the 5V pin magically fixed it!