Trouble Updating Octoprint - Plugin Firmware Check Error

Sorry if this is basic issue, but I do not have a lot of experience at the detail code level of Octopi/Octoprint so I don't understand what the Octoprint log is saying.
Updating to Octoprint 1.7.0 from Octoprint 1.6.1 keeps failing (first time I have ever had an Octoprint upgrade issue). In the Octoprint log it seems to show an error related to "plugin firmware check". I have tried searching for a similar issue on the forum, but did not find any. The relevant excerpt from the Octoprint log is shown below. It is the only item I can find in the log related to an error message. The piluginmanager and softwareupdate console logs are empty, not sure why.
2021-10-20 15:35:03,469 - octoprint.plugin.core - INFO - Loading plugins from /home/pi/oprint/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/plugins, /home/pi/.octoprint/plugins and installed plugin packages...
2021-10-20 15:35:04,578 - octoprint.plugin.core - ERROR - Error loading plugin firmware_check
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/plugin/core.py", line 1264, in _import_plugin
module = _load_module(module_name, spec)
File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/plugin/core.py", line 69, in _load_module
return imp.load_module(name, f, filename, details)
File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint_firmware_check/init.py", line 45, in
"firmware-development": FirmwareDevelopmentChecks.as_dict(),
File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint_firmware_check/checks/firmware_development.py", line 20, in as_dict
MarlinBugfixCheck(),
File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint_firmware_check/checks/firmware_development.py", line 46, in init
super().init()
TypeError: super() takes at least 1 argument (0 given)
2021-10-20 15:35:05,080 - octoprint.plugin.core - INFO - Found 23 plugin(s) providing 23 mixin implementations, 53 hook handlers

What did you already try to solve it?

Tried deleting Python 3 Compatibility check plugin (installed since last successful update so thought maybe that was an issue), but no change in result after deletion.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

no

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

n/a

Systeminfo Bundle

browser.user_agent : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/94.0.4606.81 Safari/537.36 Edg/94.0.992.50
connectivity.connection_check : 1.1.1.1:53
connectivity.connection_ok : true
connectivity.enabled : true
connectivity.online : true
connectivity.resolution_check : octoprint.org
connectivity.resolution_ok : true
env.hardware.cores : 4
env.hardware.freq : 1500
env.hardware.ram : 915337216
env.os.bits : 32
env.os.id : linux
env.os.platform : linux2
env.plugins.pi_support.model : Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1
env.plugins.pi_support.octopi_version : 0.17.0
env.plugins.pi_support.throttle_state : 0x0
env.python.pip : 19.3.1
env.python.version : 2.7.16
env.python.virtualenv : true
octoprint.safe_mode : false
octoprint.version : 1.6.1
systeminfo.generator : systemapi

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version 1.6.1, OctoPi version 0.17.0. Printer is an Anycubic Chiron.

The error you are seeing is a bug in an earlier version of the plugin and unrelated to your update woes. Please share a complete systeminfo bundle, you only shared the summary. We are looking for a zip file that you'll have to upload here.

Most likely you are encountering one of these issues however:

Thank you for your reply. I didn't see the error related to the Print Genius issue in the log so did not try the first solution to remove the third party logging module....believing the problem to be something different. So I tried that solution now, and it worked....I was able to upgrade to 1.7.0. However the error in the Octoprint log that I listed in my original post below is still there. As it doesn't seem to impact the operation of Octoprint, at least as I use it, I won't ask for any more help following up on it.....you are busy enough as it is. At any rate, I have a couple of new microsd cards and plan on doing a clean flash and download to Octopi 0.18 with python 3......thanks again for your feedback....

That issue should have been fixed with the new release of the Firmware Check plugin - it should be 2021.10.11 now, and fixed, so make sure that's updated. It also only impacts Python 2 installs as it's an incompatibility. One of the many reasons everyone should update so we don't have to keep fixing incompatibility issues :slightly_smiling_face:

mmmm..... Well, checking my plugin manager, it is version 2021.10.11 installed. I have successfully updated to Octoprint 1.7.0 as indicated in my system info, at the bottom left of the Octoprint home page...but in the Octoprint log, it still shows that error...AND...at the top of the Octoprint log it references starting Octoprint 1.6.1....

2021-10-20 15:34:56,939 - octoprint.startup - INFO - ******************************************************************************
2021-10-20 15:34:56,940 - octoprint.startup - INFO - Starting OctoPrint 1.6.1
2021-10-20 15:34:56,941 - octoprint.startup - INFO - ******************************************************************************
2021-10-20 15:35:03,389 - octoprint.util.connectivity.connectivity_checker - INFO - Connectivity state is currently: offline
2021-10-20 15:35:03,391 - octoprint.util.connectivity.connectivity_checker - INFO - Connecting to 1.1.1.1:53 is not working
2021-10-20 15:35:03,392 - octoprint.util.connectivity.connectivity_checker - INFO - Resolving octoprint.org is not working
2021-10-20 15:35:03,399 - octoprint.startup - INFO - We don't appear to be online, not fetching plugin blacklist
2021-10-20 15:35:03,469 - octoprint.plugin.core - INFO - Loading plugins from /home/pi/oprint/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/plugins, /home/pi/.octoprint/plugins and installed plugin packages...
2021-10-20 15:35:04,578 - octoprint.plugin.core - ERROR - Error loading plugin firmware_check
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/plugin/core.py", line 1264, in _import_plugin
module = _load_module(module_name, spec)
File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/plugin/core.py", line 69, in _load_module
return imp.load_module(name, f, filename, details)
File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint_firmware_check/init.py", line 45, in
"firmware-development": FirmwareDevelopmentChecks.as_dict(),
File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint_firmware_check/checks/firmware_development.py", line 20, in as_dict
MarlinBugfixCheck(),
File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint_firmware_check/checks/firmware_development.py", line 46, in init
super().init()
TypeError: super() takes at least 1 argument (0 given)
2021-10-20 15:35:05,080 - octoprint.plugin.core - INFO - Found 23 plugin(s) providing 23 mixin implementations, 53 hook handlers

....should it not be referencing starting Octoprint 1.7.0 since I successfully updated? The date and time stamp for the Octoprint log file is today and I updated yesterday. I also now get the Python 2 end of life message when I boot Octoprint as stated for 1.7.0. Do I need to do something to get a more relevant log?

As I said, Octoprint appears to be working for me the way I use it, but happy to continue discussion if you are interested in resolving in case it impacts others....

Can you upload the whole log file?

Actually, lets not waste our time looking at the log file, I figured it...

Just scroll further down in the log file, and you will find the newer entries - they only rotate at the end of each day. You are still looking at logs with the same timestamp as before the upgrade, scroll to the bottom.

aha.... you nailed it ....I bow to the master.
I did not know/realize the log is a "scrolling log" with new entries only at the bottom....explains everything....learn something new everyday (which is a good thing)...thanks so much!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.