What hardware and OS does OctoPrint officially support?

OctoPrint is platform agnostic and can run basically anywhere where Python 2.7 or 3.7+ is available. It officially supports Linux, Windows, MacOS X and FreeBSD and is actively tested on Linux and Windows.

You can install it manually from source, but there are also some ready-made installation packages available that make getting up and running a bit easier.

OctoPi (Raspberry Pi)

OctoPrint is most commonly run on Raspberry Pis running OctoPi, the Linux/Raspbian-based prebuilt image ready-made for OctoPrint. However, not all models of the Raspberry Pi are officially supported. We've observed significant performance issues, even leading to print failures, with the Raspberry Pi Zero/Zero W, which is why these models are not and never have been officially supported by the OctoPrint project, contrary to what you might have read elsewhere on the internet.

The officially recommended Raspberry Pi models to run OctoPrint (and OctoPi) on are the Raspberry Pi 3, 3+, 4 and Zero 2. All other models are not to be considered supported and you use them at your own risk, even though OctoPi does boot on them.

If you want to migrate your OctoPrint installation off an unsupported model and onto a RPi3 or higher, you should be able to simply move the SD card into the better model. Alternatively, make a backup via OctoPrint's built-in function for that, flash a fresh image to the SD card and restore the backup on the better model.

Octo4a (Android)

With Octo4a there's also a way to run OctoPrint on an Android based smartphone.

Docker

There's also an official Docker image available.

2 Likes

Moinsen.

Ausschließlich dem RasiPi?

Ich feile gerade an dem futrOcto 550.
Er basiert auf einem Fujitsu/Siemens Futro S550 mit 1 GB Ram und einer 32GB CF-Card und einer MS LifeCam HD3000.
Dranhängen tut im Moment ein FLSUN QQ-S pro Delta.

Also erste Tests sind vielversprechend.

Ich muss allerdings mitteilen, das ich kein Coder, oder Hacker bin. Also mit Programmzeilen habe ich es nicht so. Liegt mir einfach nicht.

Ich beabsichtige den Fortgang meiner Erkenntnisse hier zu dokumentieren.
Wo wäre der richtige Ort? Showroom?

Gruß

Das steht da nicht, sondern:

1 Like

Check!

Weil, dieses Konzept gefällt mir sehr!

Gruß

1 Like

Da steht "most commonly run on a Raspberry Pi". Das heißt, das ist die meistgenutzte Plattform, nicht die einzig unterstützte.

Ja, #showcase

This FAQ clearly defines which pi-s are useable, but is there a hardware requirement for older PCs (or phones/tablets)? I have a couple of very old laptops that could be repurposed, if their performance would be adequate. But they're both so old that they were/are running Windows 7 at present. I'm not opposed to loading linux on them, if that could make them useable.

So...Assuming common IBM PC clones, how many processors? How much memory? Minimum clock speed?

Match the specs of the lowest pi listed and nearly anything that was running windows 7 would be sufficient. I've heard of guys running completely fine on old celeron processors. I would definitely go the route of installing a linux distro on it to start and then use the octoprint_deploy script to install OctoPrint.

Well, it certainly sounds like those laptops will come up short; they're 32 bit single and dual core processor models. I wasn't sure how much influence the raw processor specs would have, since most desktop computers will far outperform quad and even 8 core processors in phones, tablets, etc.

Sounds like the most reasonable path is to just pick up a pi or something similar.

Thanks for the help!