Camera all of a sudden not working

Camera model
3SixT Action Camera (Generic Action Cam)

What is the problem?
I have been using the camera to monitor prints and record timelapses (Octolapse) when all of a sudden when I boot up and it no longer shows up on the camera page on octoprint. lsusb shows the camera connected.

What did you already try to solve it?
SSH in to the pi and run lsusb for it to show the camera connected. I have switched USB Ports numerous times making sure to turn the whole system off and on everytime.

Logs (/var/log/webcamd.log, syslog, dmesg, ... no logs, no support)
I have tried obtaining the webcam log file but can't find a straight answer on how to obtain it. I know it involves ssh into the pi and commands but I have know idea what commands to do. This is what came out of the lsusb and also the octoprint.log file is linked if it helps:

pi@octopi:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1b3f:2002 Generalplus Technology Inc. 808 Camera
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2e26:0200
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMC9514 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

octoprint.log (962.2 KB)

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, ...)
Everything is up to date on the latest version of octoprint and octopi at the time of writing.

You got 27 undervoltage warnings in your log.

Either your power supply isn't sufficient or your printer draws too much power.

Try it without the printer connected and if that works try this

Yeah I had a suspicion that the printer may have been drawing tons of power but I lack a lot of knowledge in reading logs and stuff I am sure if I tried I'd understand it. Thanks for the response though I'll definitley give that a go.

I tried what you said with the piece of tape and it did not sole the camera issue, I should also note that I am using the official Raspberry Pi power supply so that shouldnt be the issue (I have used numerous different power supplies/chords and found this is the best). Here is the updated octoprint.log file: octoprint (1).log (1008.7 KB)

Finally I figured out the issue! I changed my cable connecting my camera to the pi and would you look at that, fixed! Thanks for the reply though. Note to people having the same issue try switching cables for everything (pi to printer, pi to camera).

Thanks again

EDIT: When I thought all was good it stopped working, AGAIN. It now briefly shows the camera when booting up then makes you reload the page and the camera feed no longer works. I tried it with printer not plugged in and that made no difference.

Quick update. The feed is working as it should when I run sudo pkill mjpg_streamer twice upon startup. Hopefully this info will help.

2 Likes

Also when I try accessing /var/log/webcamd.log via ssh it gives me this /var/log/webcamd.log: No such file or directory if someone could help me solve this it would be great as the log could hold the answers.

1 Like

I just made an account to tell you that this helped fix my issue with octoprint. The webcam suddenly stopped working after the latest update and I did everything including reinstalling octoprint.

I logged in via putty and killed the mjpg streamer twice and now it works again.

Thank you!

@RockyRetro that's kind of amazing... Helped me out as well... :grin: Thanks for sharing and helping others (like me) out :ok_hand::+1:

1 Like

This worked for me too! Thanks for the tip.

Thanks from me also. My USB camera suddenly stopped working and this started it again.

Could you list the steps you took in more details for us noobs? Thanks

I, too, just created an account to let you know this "kill mjpg_streamer twice" fix worked for me. I'm gonna have to write that into a login script or something. Weird. Thank for the fix!

thx for the fix.
it works like a charm now

Exactly what I needed!

Ditto.

Only needed to kill it once for me but the cam is back up and working after months of being broken. Yet to see if this will work over a reboot but for now all is good.

kill mjpg_streamer fix worked for me. Finally resolved by disabling the camera interface in raspi-config. No longer need to kill mjpg_streamer process.

This didn't work for me. Still no USB camera.