Died 8 hrs into a 10 hr print

Hello,
I have and ender 3 v2 with the 4.2.2 board, and Marlin Ender3-V2-Stock-20201225 firmware. Have done a 12 hr print successfully, but last night it died. Looks like a communication error. I have the terminal log. Octoprint log also..Terminal_log.zip (3.1 KB) octoprint.zip (2.5 MB)
Don't know if this is firmware or Octoprint.

There is no guarantee that it is not the firmware. Considering the massive number of issues with Creality firmware, and the fact that they seem to add more issues in their updates

It can't be ruled out that it is not the firmware that is at fault here - I would recommend you flash a mainline Marlin build (not a nightly/bugfix build at the moment), such as Marlin 2.0.7.2.

You can try different USB cables, some shielding on the cable but it doesn't look like you have really bad communications, more just that the firmware is not responding to everything it should do. There's an awful lot of resend requests, communication timeouts etc. that will not help.

• moved it to Get Help - (Why do people use General when the need help?)

So, first this:

2021-01-31 14:00:38,400 - octoprint.plugins.pi_support - WARNING - This Raspberry Pi is reporting problems that might lead to bad performance or errors caused by overheating or insufficient power.
!!! UNDERVOLTAGE REPORTED !!! Make sure that the power supply and power cable are capable of supplying enough voltage and current to your Pi.

and then this:

2021-01-31 16:18:20,643 - octoprint.plugins.pi_support - WARNING - This Raspberry Pi is reporting problems that might lead to bad performance or errors caused by overheating or insufficient power.
!!! FREQUENCY CAPPING DUE TO OVERHEATING REPORTED !!! Improve cooling on the Pi's CPU and GPU.

You also have various issues with TSD

2 Likes

That is a surprise. Have a 3b+ with it's own supply--2.5 Amps. Will change to the supply for a 4. It shouldn't have overheated...It was a fileserver ever since the 3b came out and was on 24/7. The room the printer is in, is cold compared to the room it was in as a fileserver. According to NavBar it's been running from 55 or so up to almost 70. Oh, just looked at the times closer...I tried having the printer in the Creality enclosure, but was having problems with the print, so took it out of the enclosure. It could have been hot in the enclosure. Sorry, should have mentioned that. Is there a simple way to clear or rotate the logs when starting a new print?

I saw that, but my firmware is:Ender3-V2-Stock-20201225 from last December and I have done a 12 hr print recently. Did that firmware have problems like this?

Every Creality firmware has issues (especially the 32 bit ones), we are yet to see a 32 bit firmware for Ender 3 from Creality that doesn't have some sort of issue with it.

Do you recommend putting the latest (2021-02-02 on?

There's a reason we have

in

:wink:

No.

Not using from Creality...Have subscription with Marlin. I signed up with a subscription the day I got my printer, just after Christmas, because the facebook page talked about all the problems with the firmware shipped with the printer.

In that case @Charlie_Powell 's other recommendation applies:

On the Marlin site, I don't see those numbers. The latest for my printer looks to be: Ender3-V2-Stock-20210202?

I take it you are talking about https://marlin.crc.id.au/ when you say "the Marlin site"? Yes, we know, for some reason that page only seems to provide nightly builds, or at least doesn't mark up stable releases. Maybe as a paying customer that is feedback you should provide back to them.

In any case I fear I can't help you there and would have to refer you to building a stable build yourself if it can't be sourced from this service. The only thing I can tell you is this:

which is why we recommend a stable Marlin build, and what has already been said in this thread.

So, where do I get the Stable build? From Creality? I do not want to compile it myself, which is why I paid for a subscription. Sorry, meant to reply to Charlie_Powell.

As I said, if you can't download it from that service, you'll have to build it yourself. All you get from Creality is their own builds, and then we are back at recommending against THAT because their firmware sadly has even worse issues than the current Marlin nightlies.

I know this is frustrating, especially for a newbie, and I'm sorry for that experience. In general i can only recommend to learn how to build your own firmware from the source instead of relying on others to do it for you. As far as I can see, a matching firmware configuration should be here.

A 3d printer is far from a finished key ready product, requires tinkering, and firmware is part of that. You should take control over your experience. Luckily (or sadly, depending on how you look at it) that just involves learning.

Ok, I built the default config, but how do we know for example: which thermisistor in in our machine, or many of the others things, especially for temperatures. I followed the video for Marlin Auto Build. Is the default configuration ok to use? For instance I do not have BL touch, but I do have a Smart Filament Sensor.

On the Marlin site, there is are ready to use configuraion files:

Also here is info:

Yes, used it for trying to compile with auto build marlin, but what is enabled in the default there? Is the configuration what is described here: Ender 3 V2 - Stock - Marlin Firmware Service? Ei: stock with filament runout enabled?

You may have to check step by step what feature you need or not.

See above, I have no idea what components are shipped with the printer.