I broke my Octoprint trying to update to 1.8

What is the problem?

After trying to update my Docker Octoprint to 1.8, certain elements of the interface seems to be broken though the version is still 1.7.3. Please see screenshots.

I still can connect to the printer but the plugins are not working correctly.

What did you already try to solve it?

I tried to reinstall many times.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes, it works but still with issues.

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No

Systeminfo Bundle

On safe mode, when I click to download the systeminfo bundle I get the following error: 500: Internal Server Error

Additional information about your setup

There are no logs in the Logging page. Most of my settings are there.

I don't know if this is related but the plugins I installed prior to update were MQTT and MQTT subscribe and they seem to be working fine but after update, they both disappeared while other plugins are still there.

the Backup and Restore shows this error: There was an error with the template dialogs/settings.jinja2 at line number 41: Could not build url for endpoint 'plugin.backup.perform_restore'. Did you mean 'api.performSystemAction' instead?

The Plugin Manager page shows this error: There was an error with the template dialogs/settings.jinja2 at line number 41: Could not build url for endpoint 'plugin.pluginmanager.upload_file'. Did you mean 'api.pluginCommand' instead?

errors appear both in normal and safe modes.

I tried to run backup from command line but it gave and error then said it generated a backup file but that file cannot be found.

In normal mode, clicking System Info and About Octoprint does not do anything.

All I want at this point to find a way to backup my settings and history in order to perform a clean reinstall.

The above outlines how to grab a systeminfo bundle through CLI.

I have previously tried to download the systeminfo bundle through the interface but nothing happens after I click the icons in normal mode. In safe mode, it shows this: error: 500: Internal Server Error

I have tried the command line method and while it says that a file has been generated, that file cannot be found in the path specified or the current path.

What I was able to obtain is the smaller system information dump right from the command line and I hope this helps:

connectivity.connection_check: 1.1.1.1:53
connectivity.connection_ok: True
connectivity.enabled: None
connectivity.online: True
connectivity.resolution_check: octoprint.org
connectivity.resolution_ok: True
env.hardware.cores: 4
env.hardware.freq: 1500.0
env.hardware.ram: 4025208832
env.os.bits: 32
env.os.id: linux
env.os.platform: linux
env.python.pip: 22.0.4
env.python.version: 3.8.13
env.python.virtualenv: False
octoprint.version: 1.7.3
systeminfo.generator: cli

I tried to run backup from CLI but it generated a 3k file. I tried to restore it nonetheless on a clean Octoprint container and it failed.

You can also generate a systeminfo bundle from the CLI by specifying a path where to write it, e.g.

/path/to/octoprint systeminfo .

I'm sure I've seen issues with this & docker before. It seems something about how the data is stored in the container doesn't really like updating OctoPrint.

i've ran that command many times and it says that a file is generated but I cannot find it. Spent hours with no avail. Tried looking inside the container and outside it in the volume folder.

Please see below screenshot.
octoprint_backup

I have the same problem caused by the upgrade to 1.8.0 !!!
this my file:

browser.user_agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/100.0.4896.127 Safari/537.36
connectivity.connection_check: 8.8.8.8:53
connectivity.connection_ok: True
connectivity.enabled: True
connectivity.online: True
connectivity.resolution_check: octoprint.org
connectivity.resolution_ok: True
env.hardware.cores: 1
env.hardware.freq: unknown
env.hardware.ram: 125386752
env.os.bits: 32
env.os.id: linux
env.os.platform: linux
env.python.pip: 21.2.4
env.python.version: 3.9.10
env.python.virtualenv: False
octoprint.safe_mode: False
octoprint.version: 1.6.1
systeminfo.generator: zipapi

this is the plugin manager error:
There was an error with the template dialogs/settings.jinja2 at line number 41: Could not build url for endpoint 'plugin.pluginmanager.upload_file'. Did you mean 'api.pluginCommand' instead?

this is the backup / restore error:There was an error with the template dialogs/settings.jinja2 at line number 41: Could not build url for endpoint 'plugin.backup.perform_restore'. Did you mean 'api.performSystemAction' instead?

for information the update was not successful !!

Do you have your OctoPrint running in a Docker container?

No, i have installed octoprint in a creality wifibox!

This thread is about an issue with OctoPrint running in a Docker container.

You may open a new thread

I have the same problem. I had an automatic Update applied by watchtower an wednesday.

Found new octoprint/octoprint:latest image (04dba44aa6b8) Stopping /octoprint (53dfc7ab5bee) with SIGTERM Creating /octoprint

Today i wanted to print something and nothing works like in BlueWings post. Before the update i´ve changed nothing and everything worked fine.

Hello @wassereimer !

You also run OctoPrint in a Docker container? There is really few information about your setup.

Correct. I run docker on a QNAP NAS. Container Station version is 2.5.3.451 from 2022/04/11. If you need any other information, please let me know.

(preface of I don't really know what I'm talking about, so it's a definite possibility I have some bits wrong)

OK so the situation with Docker is that it separates the installation of plugins from the installation of the main OctoPrint packages, so that you can persist the data across rebuilds of the container. This seems to cause issues with the core updates sometimes as it gets confused with what files are going where. I'm not completely sure why but it's something we see from some people on every OctoPrint update - it doesn't seem to impact everyone though.

There's a couple tickets on the octoprint-docker repository - this one has some thoughts on how to fix similar issues Issue #183 · OctoPrint/octoprint-docker, involving rebuilding the container. There's containers built & tagged on docker hub automatically for every release of OctoPrint, so I think updating the actual container should work.

Other issue I found - #171

I´ve tried the automigrate env but it didn´t work. Also i manually pulled the latest container and it didn´t changed anything. Also i can´t make a backup since i have all the errors.

I solved this but I'm not sure if what I did can help you.

I found an old SD card with Octoprint on it and I had a daily backup of all my containers. I restored the Octoprint container backup on top of the old Octoprint version and I was able to see all my recent data and create an Octoprint Backup.

So what you can do, is download Octoprint 1.7.3 and then take down the stack, delete the Octoprint 1.7.3 folder in the Volumes folder, copy your old Octoprint container folder there, bring back the stack and hopefully it works for you.

I don't know how to download an earlier version of a container but what I can understand is that you have to use image tags in docker-compose. I did not test this myself because I found an old SD card with Octoprint on it already. Now I'm rebuilding my Pi and will try to restore the Octoprint Backup to a fresh Octoprint 1.8 container. Hopefully this works.

After over 20 hours trying to solve this, now I have learned a lesson the hard way, I should never click update as soon as new version is released. I should wait for a couple of weeks and monitor the forums for any reported issues, then take an image of the entire SD card and then attempt to update.

I got it running too.

• stopped the octoprint container
  • restored a 1.7.3 backup from the volume
  • changed the octoprint container to tag 1.7.3
  • started the container and everything was working again
  • did alle the updates in octoprint (to 1.8.0 and all of the plugin updates)
  • restarted the container
  • everything worked
  • stopped the container
  • changed the octoprint container tag to latest again
  • started the container
  • now everything is fine

I think the problem is when the container gets updated to a new (major?) version but the files in the volume are from an older version. It should be able to detect (a simple version file in the volume would do the trick) and update them automaticly after the container is on a new version.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.