New OctoPi Release: 0.16.0

Guy Sheffer has released OctoPi 0.16.0 - big thanks to him and also to everyone who helped test the release candidates and the nightly builds that went into this and reported back!

Apart from adding support for the Pi 3A+ and of course shipping with the current stable OctoPrint version 1.3.10, 0.16.0 also contains the following changes:

Changes in the image

• Raspberrypi 3A+ support
  • Linux kernel 4.14.79-v7+ from new base image 2018-11-13-octopi-stretch-lite
  • OctoPrint 1.3.10
  • pip is not pinned to version 9 anymore, shipped with version 19
  • Bug fixes

Build notes

• Uses CustomPiOS 1.1.0
  • Our nightly/release builds have moved to the new Docker build supported in CustomPiOS 1.1.0. You can still use the vagrant build method.

The full release notes can be found at github.

You can download OctoPi 0.16.0 from the usual place. If you are asking yourself how to update from an earlier version of OctoPi, please read on.

“How do I update?”

There is currently no way to update from earlier OctoPi versions to a new version of that image. It’s not strictly necessary though - a new image basically means that if you have to setup a new instance you’ll start at a newer version of everything bundled with the image. Anything included on the image however can also be kept up to date without having to reflash. OctoPrint will have prompted you to update itself and will continue to do so, and most of the image itself can be kept up to date like every other Raspbian image.

So no pressing need to reflash!

If you want to however, create a backup.

Confused about the difference between OctoPi and OctoPrint? Read this!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://octoprint.org/blog/2019/02/12/octopi-release-0-16-0/
2 Likes

I am not sure why, but I could not get this latest version to work. I wanted to start fresh with my Octoprint on my Ender 3, which I have been running since November. I formatted my SD card with "SD card formatter" that was linked to in the Raspberry pi website. Then used Win32DiskImager. All I have done in the past for both my printers. (I also have 4-5 other Rpi's for other projects.)

When I loaded my SD card into my Rpi 3B+, the red light came on but the green light never did. It never connected to the network, even though I entered all the proper information in the octopi_wpa_supplicant.txt with notepad++. I took my Rpi to my test station and hooked up the keyboard, mouse and monitor, directly. The Rpi booted, and the first ~5 seconds of initialization scrolled passed, but then stopped with no errors or warnings. I could type in, which was echo'd to the screen, but no response from the OS. It never attempted to connect to the network.

I formatted and re imaged about 5 times, with different card readers. I am using the Sandisk Ultra 16 gb microsd card (which I had tested, when I first bought it, to make sure it is not a knock off). Then I ran the H4testw program, which found no problems with the SD card. I then imaged the previous stable release (OctoPi 0.15.1) and it booted up right away.

I should have taken a photo of the Rpi loading screen, but I didn't. I don't know what is wrong, but something with the current image doesn't work.

Doesn't appear to be a general problem or there wouldn't be over 13400 instances active with this image within the last 30 days:

The exact log output during bootup would certainly be interesting here. If you want to get to the bottom of this, I suggest you open up a topic in the #support category.

I have exatctly the same problem as jkkato.
Also a sandisk Ultra 16Gb
Pi wont boot.

Try OctpoPi 0.17.0 :wink:

1 Like