Pi Undervoltage/power issues: I had a strange lightning bolt/temperature symbol with an exclamation mark popup in my navbar, what does that mean?

Restarting OctoPrint clears the indicator, there are two states it can be in:

• Blinking: There is a problem now
  • Solid: There has been a problem since the last restart

And I don't imagine we will provide a way to turn them off since they are an important part of diagnosing issues. Power supplies cause loads of problems, and this is usually the only thing to fix some issues.

What Pi model are you using? Raspberry Pi 3+ & 3B+ require 5V 2.5A, Pi 4 5V 3A. 2.4A sounds a bit like a phone charger to me. You can see this for all models here:

I am using a Pi 3B+.

At the risk of appearing to insist, If I can turn the indicator off (again not permanently off, not ignoring undervoltage forever) I could probably live with an undervoltage condition that occurred 2 hours ago and has not recurred at all since. At the present time I have no idea if undervoltage happened once at boot time or if it happens fleetingly every five minutes when I'm not looking at the indicator...

If you open up the octoprint.log it will log whenever the undervoltage warning has been triggered, if you want to look at when it happens

@Higonnet
This indicator has it's use.
I just has an issue here with a user who was not able to connect to his K8200.
I pointed to the undervolatge issue he had. He increase the max current of his PS and now it's working fine for him.

If you have this issue you should really get away that icon by removing the undervolatge/power issue, not by ignoring (deleting) it.
Sooner or later you may get in real trouble with such a problem and you do not know the reason.

Hint: If your PS is fine, have a look on the connectors and cables.

1 Like

Hi!

I'm using:

• Ender-3 Pro.
  • SKR E3 DIP 1.1.
  • OV5647 Pi Camera with two IR LED.
  • Raspberry Pi 3 model B.
  • Raspberry Pi Fan.
  • Telegram plugin.

What i've done:

But I still receive undervoltafe message. There is no corrosion, broken cable or strange messages in log file. What else can I do?

edit: didn't read you already tried it without usb devices.
Then there isn't much you can do I would say :confused:
I would try the 0.18.0 rc image - so you tried everything :man_shrugging:

Also the voltage sensor circuit of the RasPi can be faulty.

How I can measure voltage without a sensor?

I don't mean it is not working at all. It may report wrong values.

This pretty much never happens, since it is not a sensor but an analogue on/off. If input voltage is below 4.65V, the circuit trips the undervoltage warning. Never seen this break before, I wouldn't recommend mentioning it. People lose faith in it if they think it can break - it doesn't lie, if there is undervoltage there is undervoltage.

Only other way to check is to get an inline USB voltmeter.

@Barrel_Titor - The power supply is most likely faulty, you may need to get a new one. Or measure it's output in-line. The DJI mavic PSU is not a good replacement - get another official PSU if you can.

2 Likes

I see. Thanks for that info.

1 Like

Is there a brand that anyone can recommend? I bought my RaspberryPi 3B+ from the official site and ordered a 3amp power supply along with it. When it arrived, the white power supply with both UK and US style adapter, actually has 2.5 amps printed on it. It does work ok, supplying enough for Octopi to work but I have 3 others which also say that they are good for 2.5 amps and they will not run Octopi although they are the good Chinese ones :slight_smile: .

Its almost like the developer knows what she's doing!

3 Likes

No such thing as a good chinese power supply. They may be labeled 5v and 2.5a, but they won't put out 5v when you pull 2.5a.

Ummm no...

1 Like

I was being facetious about the Chinese power supply's. They are no better than anything else from China.

1 Like

I already understood... :wink:

1 Like

I have been thinking about this and have been playing with several power supplies. I wonder how much of this issue is actually tied to the power wire. The official Pi powersupply has a fixed wire and has no issues but even good quality USB powet supplies get flagged by the Pi.

Have you seen/heard this being explored? I am rebuilding my printer from scratch and was going to hard wire by soldering direct to the board and direct to the power supply. I am convinced that lower quality aluminum wire leads and lower quality power supplies / usb jacks might be the culprit.

1 Like

I'm not aware of any overall research into that direction, but yeah, we've definitely seen the wire be the culprit here (which is why the FAQ entry also says to check both the supply and the cabling).

Hello,
I update to the last version, and after the plugin reports me a bad power supply, I have an external big power supply connect directly to the pins of the Raspbery, never had this problem with the old version.
Can you help? Take care.
Pat