This site can’t be reached

I loaded Octopi yesterday, all went well and I was connecting without a hitch through "http://octopi.local" and printing all day. This morning I have attempted to connect again and I just get the message "This site can’t be reached" every time I try to connect through the browawe.
I've tried using Chrome and Edge with the same result. I have also tried to ping octopi.local through the command prompt and it says it can't reach host.

I'm very new to pi so I have no idea what could have gone wrong between yesterday and today. I did search but no-one seemed to be having exactly the same issue.

(I don't have a monitor or keyboard to log into the pi directly.)

I'm running the latest version of octoprint and connecting to an Ender 3 printer. My computer is windows.

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

So, I tried flashing a new copy of Octoprint, just in case... It still doesn't work :frowning:

Try http://octopi or http://[IPofyourpi] :slight_smile:

1 Like

I've literally just fixed it by unplugging it from the printer while it was booting... I have no idea why this made a difference but as soon as i did it, all was well. The printer and pi are now working perfectly again :woman_shrugging:

Oh I see
Try this to prevent it from happening again in the future :smiley:

1 Like

Fantastic! I wasn't sure if I was going loopy but this makes sense. I'll have to dig out the electrical tape. In the mean time, I assume that it'll be ok if I turn the pi on second and off first?

That's correct :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lots of people have problems with the printer mainboard sucking the power out of the USB port - powering the mainboard from the Pi seems to cause lots of issues - disconnecting the USB+5V, which is what the tape does, often helps, I use a custom adapter or cable to isolate the +5V. Don't isolate the GND pin, you need a shared ground. Opening the wire sheathing and cutting the RED cable is what somepeople do, but its ugly!.

In general, the problem may happens for failing on DNS lookup . DNS is that network address that translates the website name to its internet address. Most often it causes for not getting the internet connection or misconfigured internet or network settings. Another reason could be the firewall preventing Google Chrome to load the webpage. In most cases Flush Your DNS Cache is solve this problem:

sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Once the command is executed, OSX will prompt for the administrator password as confirmation to proceed. Also, here are some other possible solutions for This Site Can’t Be Reached, these solutions will try to minimize or remove the error completely and takes you to your desired website in your Chrome browser.

• Restart Your Internet Connection
  • Clear browser cache, history and cookies
  • Reset Chrome browser settings
  • Reset Wi-Fi Modem
  • Restart DNS client
  • Change IPv4 DNS Address
  • Reset the Chrome profile Sync
  • Remove browser extension from Chrome

Just FYI it's also the 1st pin on mini USB (even though mini USB has 5 pins) if you don't have USB-A like me

Yeah whatever is easier for you