OctoPi WiFi/network connection troubleshooting megatopic

Can I just point out, if you post this remove your wifi config and replace it with something that is not your password. Posting that on the public internet might not go so well.

The less you change in the file, the better chance we have of discovering errors. Just change the password (hopefully, your configuration has a password).

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help. I hope I have added what you need.
Pi 4 - 4gig running just Octopi image.
Octopi 0.18.0 trying the nightly got something to work. Using the stable release I had Errors everywhere.
macOS Big Sur 11.0.1
Wifi mesh router Eero - I am plugged into one of the satellites which makes me think it has something to do with the software not my hardware set up. When not hardwired I can't see it on my Router. I've tried 2 pi's and they show up with a Raspbian card so WiFi works on the Pi's.

This happened when I was trying to update and I refreshed the browser on that screen before it was done updating. From that point on this is the issue. I tried new download, flash, SD card, Raspberry Pi.

Supplicant file:

## WPA/WPA2 secured
network={
  ssid="myusername"
  psk="blahblahblah"
}

## Open/unsecured
#network={
#  ssid="put SSID here"
#  key_mgmt=NONE
#}

## WEP "secured"
##
## WEP can be cracked within minutes. If your network is still relying on this
## encryption scheme you should seriously consider to update your network ASAP.
#network={
#  ssid="put SSID here"
#  key_mgmt=NONE
#  wep_key0="put password here"
#  wep_tx_keyidx=0
#}

# Uncomment the country your Pi is in to activate Wifi in RaspberryPi 3 B+ and above
# For full list see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2
#country=GB # United Kingdom
#country=CA # Canada
#country=DE # Germany
#country=FR # France
country=US # United States

### You should not have to change the lines below #####################

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

pi@octopi:~ $ ifconfig
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.4.95  netmask 255.255.252.0  broadcast 192.168.7.255
        inet6 fe80::e62b:e262:76d2:3d4  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether dc:a6:32:29:da:e7  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 613  bytes 142846 (139.4 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 220  bytes 34901 (34.0 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
        inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>
        loop  txqueuelen 1000  (Local Loopback)
        RX packets 22  bytes 3455 (3.3 KiB)
        TX packets 22  bytes 3455 (3.3 KiB)

wlan0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether dc:a6:32:29:da:e8  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)

pi@octopi:~ $ iwconfig
eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=31 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on

lo        no wireless extensions.

System info:
browser.user_agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_6) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/14.0.1 Safari/605.1.15
connectivity.connection_check: 8.8.8.8:53
connectivity.connection_ok: true
connectivity.enabled: true
connectivity.online: true
connectivity.resolution_check: octoprint.org
connectivity.resolution_ok: true
env.hardware.cores: 4
env.hardware.freq: 1500
env.hardware.ram: 1903988736
env.os.bits: 32
env.os.id: linux
env.os.platform: linux
env.plugins.pi_support.model: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1
env.plugins.pi_support.octopi_version: 0.18.0
env.plugins.pi_support.throttle_state: 0x0
env.python.pip: 20.3.1
env.python.version: 3.7.3
env.python.virtualenv: true
octoprint.safe_mode: false
octoprint.version: 1.5.2

By stable release do you mean 0.17.0?

The RPi 4 2GB (and, I believe, 4GB) has had a recent hardware revision that renders 0.17.0 unusable. I think this means that you are going to need 0.18.0 and probably the latest nightly. Your supplicant file looks correct. "ifconfig" shows the device wlan0 so I believe you have a kernel driver that works.

What does "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan" show?

Thanks for the reply! I will post the result later tonight when I get by the printer.
Talking about the issues the Pi 4 has makes me want to try and step back a release to what I was running before I tried to update. Everything was running fine for at least 6 months or so with this same set up.

I got mostly black screens but at the end I got this:

IE: Unknown: 050400030000
                    IE: Unknown: 0706555320010B1E
                    IE: Unknown: 2A0104
                    IE: Unknown: 32040C121860
                    IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
                        Group Cipher : CCMP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
                    IE: Unknown: 0B0500002E0000
                    IE: Unknown: 42020000
                    IE: Unknown: 2D1A3C081FFFFF000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
                    IE: Unknown: 3D1608000400000000000000000000000000000000000000
                    IE: Unknown: 7F080400080000000040
                    IE: Unknown: DD090010180200001C0000
                    IE: Unknown: DD180050F2020101800003A4000027A4000042435E0062322F00
          Cell 28 - Address: 00:AB:48:CE:2E:08
                    Channel:157
                    Frequency:5.785 GHz
                    Quality=43/70  Signal level=-67 dBm
                    Encryption key:off
                    ESSID:""
                    Bit Rates:6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s
                              36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                    Mode:Master
                    Extra:tsf=0000000000000000
                    Extra: Last beacon: 50ms ago
                    IE: Unknown: 0000
                    IE: Unknown: 01088C129824B048606C
                    IE: Unknown: 03019D
                    IE: Unknown: 050400020000
                    IE: Unknown: 070C55532024081E640C1E95051E
                    IE: Unknown: 3B028000
                    IE: Unknown: 2D1AEF021BFFFF000000000000000000000100000000000000000000
                    IE: Unknown: 3D169D050400000000000000000000000000000000000000
                    IE: Unknown: 7F080400000200000040
                    IE: Unknown: BF0CB2398033FAFF0000FAFF0000
                    IE: Unknown: C005019B00FCFF
                    IE: Unknown: C304023C3C3C
                    IE: Unknown: DD1A00904C0408BF0CB2398033FAFF0000FAFF0000C005019B00FCFF
                    IE: Unknown: DD180050F2020101000003A4000027A4000042435E0062322F00
                    IE: Unknown: DD071422DB02000000

Then let's try "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan >iwlist.txt". Search the output for the SSID that you have in /boot/octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt. We don't need to see the whole output file unless you have questions about it.

For future reference, you could also type "screen -L" which will start a session. Type the commands you want to capture and when done, type "exit". The session's output is captured in the file screenlog.0. If there are multiple commands to capture, this is easier than adding >file.name (to the first) and >>file.name (to the rest) at the end of every command.

Hey guys! I have an issue with connecting my Raspberry Pi 4 to the network. My situation is as follows:

My RPI with Octoprint 0.17 was running fine for about half a year. No issues with it. I printed everything with it. Webcam works, SSH works, I even made some SMB shares to easily access my files.

Yesterday morning at around 3 AM, my pi suddenly lost connection to the network. I found this out from my network logs coming from my router/AP, nothing was printing at the time and my printer was turned off. Rebooting didn't work, even after leaving it off for an entire night.

Things I checked:

• Used my laptop USB C adapter for power. No low-power messages seen. I have tested with my PC USB port as well, then I do get low-power messages. All troubleshooting has been on my laptop power supply.
  • Wifi signal strength is fine. Pi hasn't been moved, and other devices can connect fine at that location, I'm about 10m from the access point.
  • I'm connecting to 5GHz network. Changing to a 2.4 GHz network (by adding a second network to wpa-supplicant including id_str parameter) doesn't change anything.
  • I'm editing through the CLI on the pi itself (nano). (On the PC I use notepad++, but only used CLI for this issue)
  • My router cannot see the device, so it is really not connected
  • I cannot ping my router. Ping 192.168.1.1 response is: connect: Network is unreachable
  • Response of sudo ifconfig wlan0 is:
  • Response of sudo iwlist wlan0 scan is: here: https://imgur.com/d1uhknV (I could only attach one image as I'm a new member on this forum). BlokmeisterWIFI_5GHz is the wifi that I should be connecting to, which is visible.
  • I have just redone a complete install of Octoprint 0.18 RC1 (used 0.17 before) and got the exact same results

I really don't understand what is going on here. Can someone help me?

Update:
I just tried a new SD card, and I still have the same issue. I then tried a raspberry pi 3, and there it does work. Switching back to the pi 4, same issue. This is weird, since I have also tried inserting the original SD card into the Pi 3, and that didn't solve it. Very weird. Can it have something to do with my hardware in that case?

Update 2:
I tried it again on the Pi 4, then moved back to the Pi 3, and it doesn't connect anymore. I'm completely confused now.

hello, I already have used rpi 3b+, so I just used it in this octoprint setup.
first, I quck booted used micro 16gb sdcard with SD card Formatter. and burned octopi 0.17.0 via etcher.
after that, editted octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt with notepad++. below is all of uncommented lines.

/////

network={
ssid="difinitely correct ssid"
psk="difinitely correct psk"
}

country=KR # Korea, Republic of

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

/////

after this, I plugged sd card in rpi. but, my Fing app(android) does not display octopi...

after this, for verify, I formatted sd card again, and set raspbian OS, checked wifi conection and ssh prompt acess both work.

I think I checked all of wifi setup and troubleshooting document.. cant figure out what is wrong. please help me..!!

Not actually a solution solution, but a bypass, and it may highlight something inherently wrong somewhere with the distribution that the dev team should look at and fix.

I have gone through several hours and nights of troubleshooting over the course of six months. My old 3B+ pi + touch display setup worked fine on wifi for two years. But octoprint was out of date, could not be updated, and so I was forced to start fresh.

Kind of nightmare scenario for a newbie, given some complexities in the setup, command line, had to retrace display instructions ...

Despite following every detail in terms of how to edit the config file for wifi (not UK, US, correct ID, correct PW) it would not go on the network. Hours and days of taking the pi box apart, screen on/off, sd card in, out, starting over, ... reading this forum, other install guides, watching videos, dealing with a mis-recognized US keyboard, ... forced to quit. Unable to print. Trying again a month later. Rinse repeat. Always down the same rabbit hole and stuck without network connectivity.

Finally I had enough and just strung a long ethernet cable. Boom. Instantly it is on the network. Up and running. I go the desktop environment installed.
Clicking around in there:

Time zone: UK

How? Why?

Despite me doing the setup many times, following all the guides ... edit config always US, correct ID, correct PW.

So, now it works on ethernet, great. Fixed my printer. Got the filament moving.

Fast forward. Trying without ethernet? Nothing.

But at least I have a desktop environment, display, keyboard and mouse.
I can see ethernet is unplugged. I get a wifi symbol. Wifi networks are available. Pick the one it should be on. Enter password. OK.

So imo there's a bug or flaw somewhere, and the available instructions (old & new) don't allow to properly and efficiently troubleshoot it, if one is not versed in cli, raspbian, etc.

I know that this is a mega thread, but I ran into a similar issue recently with an Asus RT-AC87U.
My pi connects to a guest network and I needed to allow "intranet access". without that turned ON, I was getting the same timeout issues as some people here.asus-wifi-octopi

Many routers configure the guest network in such a way that each system is prevented from talking to other systems in the guest network and more importantly, are prevented from talking to systems in the local network.

Not exactly what you want for a 3D printer.

After a lot of time spent, i figured out that if a password have a "*" at the end of it it'll simply never work, i'vre tried the wpa conf file generator and also adding from raspi-config both option aren't able to pass throught this special character, since i've never seen this issue in any forum i'll just say it. special character can be escaped using the wpa config file generator or any meant but the star ('*') won't be and will simply return a connection refused error, like if the credential are wrong

After hours of work trying to figure out why I would not be able to connect to my main network, I found out that because my super long password had been generated from a paraphrase it was being trunked all the time and was losing the last hexdecimal carater in the wpa-supplicant.conf. I resolved this by removing the quotation in my psk and using capital letter in my hexdecimal (not sure why but it worked). It ended up bing something like:
network={
ssid="testing"
#psk="testingPassword"
psk=131E1E221F6E06E3911A2D11FF2FAC9182665C004DE85300F9CAC208A6A80531
}
I used the information from this page trying to work it out on the desktop. Than reinstalled from scratch using the proper psk setting. Setting up a wireless LAN via the command line - Raspberry Pi Documentation

1 Like

Hoping for some help, new Pi user, fairly new to printing, not new to tech...

Raspberry Pi 3 B+ running latest version of Octopi downloaded today. Used Etcher to burn to NEW Sandisk 128GB card. Used Notepad++ to edit the text to include SSID and PW of the same wifi I'm using to type this message. Verified case sensitivity issue and spaces as well.

Cannot shell into it using pi@octopi.local. Logged into my router and do not see a device listed on the network.

Logged into Pi using HDMI cable and mouse/keyboard. Ran ifconfig wlan0 and get bunch of gibberish nothing relating to my SSID. Run the sudo command to list the networks...that's where I'm stumped; the results are 13 cells and I can only see the last wifi network...and it's not mine.

How do I show them in a page by page view so I can ensure my info is correct?

I'm sure the signal is strong as it's 1' away. I'm using a 2.5a power supply from canakit, and I shouldn't have any interference. Pi is only powering a wired keyboard.

Thanks for any help.

To check that your ssid is listed, run iwlist wlan0 scan | grep ESSID - that will cut out the rest of it, and only show lines with ESSID in them.

iwconfig shows what is currently connected/running.

Try using sudo raspi-config to set the SSID and password.

The final thing, is try and set the time on the Pi. This is a new one I learnt, apparently it doesn't like connecting if the time is too far off. I can't remember now if this is done through raspi-config or otherwise, a quick google should get you somewhere.

Looking for help connecting to an open school network. Everything tested well on a home network.

Followed the troubleshooting on the FAQ page:
Power supply - didn't see an issue (using rasp power supply, not phone charger)
Wifi strength (pi) - can't test well, the extender was in the room though
Hidden? - didn't actually check this, but can be seen on a home network
Copy format error? - retyped name and NONE for network and password

Connected to a monitor/keyboard
Verified it can see the network and has been assigned an ip
Typed in the ip on separate computer on same network, no luck
Network signal level is 62 dBm
Will not answer when pinged
octoprint.log (29.3 KB)

ifconfig
wlan0: flags=416.3<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 10.92.0.126 netmask 255.255.0.0 broadcast 10.92.255.255

Hi. I recently had Octoprint running for over a month now. I decided to download some plugins to control LED lights. For whatever reason, I could not get past the starting screen after rebooting the pi. It wanted the password of the pi and when I typed it in it did not move past the starting screen.

I decided then to reflash the octopi with all the same settings, ie. network name, pw, and country. The only thing I changed was the resolution of my webcam (which I later changed back).

I've tried moving the pi closer to the network, checking my router interface to see if there are any new devices, and I have tried plugging it into the printer and webcam and keeping them disconnected. I have also tried changing my country, SSID.

I have no idea why this won't work, as all I did was reflash with the newest octopi stable download. Could it be the plugin that I installed, is there a way to delete them without using the interface?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hi,

I want to share about my struggle with this issue and how I've managed to solve it.
I have 4 printers with Pi4 boards at my company that had no wifi issues until some weeks ago. First, randomly one of them wouldn't connect no matter what I tried. The next day it would magically connect without problems, so I thought it would be something related to my router. But suddenly, all the printers stopped connecting despite no chages on the router settings have been made. They would only connect through ethernet cable.
I took one the RPIs home and couldn't connect to my router either, so I downloaded the latest octopi image and flashed the sd card again, and this time it connected right away.
I took the RPI back to my company and again couldn't connect, so I knew it was something wrong with my network. The SSID had an underscore between words and after I removed it connected! But the other printers didn't so I started searching for any differences in config files, and here is what I've found:
In the /boot folder there was an extra file named "octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt.save" which I have no idea how it was created. Is that a kind of backup or something octopi does automatically?
In the /etc/wpa_supplicant/ there was the same ."save" file which I deleted too.
Regarding the "octopi_wpa_supplicant.conf" I saw that the permissions were "rw-r--r--" different from the newly flashed image which was "rwxrwxrwx"
So I changed the pemission with sudo chmod a=rwx, rebooted the board and connected to the wifi normally. Problem solved!
But I still don't know what could have changed the permissions and why it happened.

Cheers

New user with a 4B here. I can ping my pi, but FTP, HTTP, and HTTPS unreachable.
Desktop is W10.
PI of pi is 10.0.0.112 (assigned by router)

When the pi connects it says something like "you may now open a web browser..." and the place where it should show me the addresses is blank.

WPA/WPA2 secured

network={
ssid="OurNetwork"
psk="OurPasswd"
}