SerialError and Errno 5, can't connect to Octopi at all

What is the problem?
I just set up my Raspberry Pi with Octopi for my Ender 3, and it worked well for about 2 days but now it keeps throwing errors when I try to connect, each error happening faster after connection than the last until now I cannot even connect to my pi anymore.
What did you already try to solve it?
I purchased an official Pi power supply because at first it was throwing serialexceptions, rebooted Pi and octoprint.
Logs (octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support!)
octoprint.log (1.1 MB) serial.log (13.6 KB)
Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible)
Octoprint 1.4.0, Ender 3 stock firmware, google chrome, Windows. Raspberry pi zero w.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hi :slight_smile:
First of all the Pi Zero is a bad choice. It might impact your printing quality.

Back to your problem
Let's try this

Hey,
The connector that I'm using is a USB Mini to Micro USB cable, which pin should I cover on this? I assume on the Mini USB that plugs into the Ender 3.

Oh that's a bit tricky. You could cover it on either side - my guide covers it on the pi side.
Here are the pinouts for your plugs and connectors

Getting some electrical tape tomorrow, will update you with the results. Thank you for the chart!

I can see electrical tape on a USB-A connector but it would be beyond my pay grade to use it on a mini or a micro USB connector. I'd probably do some careful cable shield and wire surgery.

I bit the bullet and got a pi 3b+ and set it up today. Everything seems to be working now, lets just hope that it stays that way. Thank you both for your help!

1 Like