Two Octoprints can't move Z axis/ all axis fail after attempting

What is the problem?

I can auto home and move x and y axis on the two printers. When I attempt a Z move it fails, then I can no longer move any axis unless disconnecting. This is happening on TWO Octoprint installs.

What did you already try to solve it?

Have powered on and off printers, rebooted systems, changed cables, etc

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes, that doesn't help.

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

NO

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

Octoprint/ Creality CR10V3
browser.user_agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/95.0.4638.69 Safari/537.36 Edg/95.0.1020.44
connectivity.connection_check: 172.24.0.1:53
connectivity.connection_ok: true
connectivity.enabled: true
connectivity.online: true
connectivity.resolution_check: opnsense.home.arpa
connectivity.resolution_ok: true
env.hardware.cores: 4
env.hardware.freq: 1500
env.hardware.ram: 3971153920
env.os.bits: 32
env.os.id: linux
env.os.platform: linux
env.plugins.pi_support.model: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4
env.plugins.pi_support.octopi_version: 0.18.0
env.plugins.pi_support.throttle_state: 0x0
env.python.pip: 20.3.3
env.python.version: 3.7.3
env.python.virtualenv: true
octoprint.safe_mode: true
octoprint.version: 1.5.2
printer.firmware: Marlin 2.0.9.2-FiZi-BL-250000 (Oct 17 2021

Octoprint/ Sovol SV01
browser.user_agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/95.0.4638.69 Safari/537.36 Edg/95.0.1020.44
connectivity.connection_check: 172.24.0.1:53
connectivity.connection_ok: true
connectivity.enabled: true
connectivity.online: true
connectivity.resolution_check: opnsense.home.arpa
connectivity.resolution_ok: true
env.hardware.cores: 4
env.hardware.freq: 1500
env.hardware.ram: 3971153920
env.os.bits: 32
env.os.id: linux
env.os.platform: linux
env.plugins.pi_support.model: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4
env.plugins.pi_support.octopi_version: 0.18.0
env.plugins.pi_support.throttle_state: 0x0
env.python.pip: 20.3.3
env.python.version: 3.7.3
env.python.virtualenv: true
octoprint.safe_mode: false
octoprint.version: 1.5.2
Printer firmware is not showing up on this one, but it is based on Marlin 2.5.2

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

Printers are listed above. Firmware is listed above. Win10 computer access with Microsoft Edge. Did not do this when I ran Octoprint in venv on a Windows 10 laptop. I made a backup of that install and restored from it when installing on these two Raspberry Pi's. Please let me know what other information you need. I can't figure this out. .

I've just upgraded both systems, since I noticed I was running version 1.5.2 on them. I have never received an update notification. I have upgraded the Pi OS and Octoprint, and this issue persists.

Some printers do not move the Z-axis until it's homed.

Some have a weired behaviour with/without SD card in the printer (Creality).

You also may try this:

Please enable serial logging

try it again and upload the systeminfo bundle ZIP afterwards

Hopefully the log will show us what's wrong.

I have an adapter that disables the 5V on the USB cable. No need for tape. I also tested without the adapter, and the problem is the same.

I have SD card read/write completely disabled in the Creality firmware, but it is enabled in the Sovol firmware. I haven't had to chance to finish my Marlin edits and recompile for the newest. Both are 8 bit boards, with TMC2208. So, the option of having an SD card doesn't seem to be an issue, since this is happening on both installs of Octoprint.

Instead of telling us what you have done and what you plan to do, enable serial logging, reproduce the problem, and upload the requested systeminfo bundle. This is what WE need to help YOU. Without it, all we can provide is sympathy.

That specific response was directed to the first person who responded to me. They specifically suggested SD card and 5V pin issues. I wanted to make sure they knew it was either troubleshot, or shouldn't be an issue. @PrintedWeezl advised me to enable serial logging, which I plan to do, but haven't messed with these printers in the past few days. House repairs take priority.

Maybe I thought letting @Ewald_Ikemann know what I have done, would rule out their suggestion...When I get a chance tomorrow I will enable serial logging, reproduce the results, then post them here.

1 Like

@PrintedWeezl and @b-morgan I finally got a chance to sit at the printers again. This upload is from the Creality. This is 250K baud rate, and SD support disabled on the Creality.

I looked at the serial log, and don't see any obvious errors after attempting a Z move. Line 812 around 10:53AM should be the Z move attempt, after I auto-homed then moved X and Y. It failed to move Z and any other move afterward, but if I wait a few minutes I think it finally catches up and makes the moves. Not always though. The only 'errors' I see afterward are 'echo:busy: processing' for each temp state, etc. I also see this on Line 87, but not sure if that is just normal: Printer seems to support the busy protocol, will adjust timeouts and set busy interval accordingly.

octoprint-systeminfo-20211121110411.zip (21.2 KB)

@PrintedWeezl and @b-morgan This is the Sovol system bundle. Sovol is 115200 baud rate, and SD card enabled. Same situation without being able to move after a Z command. Further investigation revealed that I can't set temps, home, control fan or motors after the Z move fail. The only thing I can do is disconnect the printer and start over. What it does do, is consistently wait about a minute then dump all the commands in succession. I can watch it from the camera finally catch up and try to execute all the commands at once.

Hopefully ya'll can make something of this. I sure can't...
octoprint-systeminfo-20211121112718.zip (50.9 KB)

Sorry for the late response.
Unfortunately I'm not seeing any problems :confused:

Since this problem started after your updated Octoprint I would try it with a fresh image. Hope that helps.

No worries. It is a weird quirk, but everything else works. I'll try a new install one day.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.