Y Axis randomly stops mid Print - Ender 5 Silent

Considering that only people with the Ender 5 1.1.5 silent boards have so far run into this, I'd say it sounds more like either a firmware or a printer batch issue. As I already said, based on the logs that were shared so far, OctoPrint is sending the commands it needs to send. Something on the printer's side then stops doing what these commands say and does something else instead. Either that, or the commands don't go through correctly (undervoltage?) in which case it would be fairly unexpected to only affect one single axis however.

The case of the problem wandering along with the motor sounds like a hardware issue, could be that this only looks like the same issue but is an actual mechanical problem.

Different firmware might be an idea, and I'd also suggest to replicate the experiment of swapping the X/Y axis to see if the problem moves with the motor or stays on the axis.

SD card printing doesn't involve checksums, so switching those off temporarily could also give insights, in case there's a parser bug in the firmware regarding the checksums.

Also check for undervoltage and increased communication errors.

Thank you! I'll try those things before changing Marlin firmware. Is there a resource I can refer to regarding turning off the checksums?

Settings > Serial Connection > Firmware & protocol. There disable automatic firmware detection and set checksums to "Never":

Note that this will mean there will be no error detection and recovery possible, so if a transmission error happens between OctoPrint and the printer, it won't be possible for the firmware to detect that and request a retransmission.

1 Like

Hi @OutsourcedGuru and @foosel i doubt this is a hardware fault as in faulty steppers, or cables, or tension etc. The reason I say this is and like we are all saying, printing from SD works 100%. I have now done 2 x 48Hour prints without a problem on my Ender 5 so I believe I am save to save to say the mechanics are fine. This is also not the only successful print, every single print via SD and there has been many has been successful unless it has been something else like power cuts or Filament.

@foosel as you have mentioned and agree this seems to be and issue printing through USB (Serial) unfortunately this is with OctoPrint doing it in this case.

I will try your suggestions further down in the thread and advise on the outcome.

1 Like

Doing a web search for "ender 5 y axis" turns up threads like this, this, this (many more Y limit switches not working), this.

@OutsourcedGuru Thanks for your message, but we are not trying to resolve other issues here and as the person who started the thread I can relate to what all the other people are experiencing, I am not saying there aren't any other issues with the printers but for this problem, the issues in the links is not relevant and also not what we are experiencing. This is also not my first printer nor the first time using OctoPrint

I went ahead and updated the Firmware to Marlin 1.1.9 Bugfix and updated the buffer size on the serial connection to 16. Bad troubleshooting on my part as now it will be hard to tell what fixed the issue. I just finished a small test print that failed before and it printed out just fine. I'm going to run that file a couple more times to see if the upgrade in firmware and Buffer increased fixed the issue.

1 Like

I've printed four or five object since upgrading to marlin 1.1.9 bugfix and increasing the serial buffers from 4 to 16. No issues to report.

2 Likes

Hi @ld2003 Thanks for the feedback, I am in contact with Creality to get the Marlin 1.1.8 they are running on the Ender 5 v1.1.5 board to only increase the serial buffer, and re-upload if I have no luck with that I will upgrade to 1.1.9 Bugfix. Did you use Teaching Tech's Youtube Vid - Ender 5 bootloader and Marlin update and just updated the the below in Configuration_adv.h from 4 to 16 before upload.

// The ASCII buffer for serial input
#define MAX_CMD_SIZE 96
#define BUFSIZE 4

I used Kersey Fabrications on youtube to guide me with the upgrade. I changed both at the same time, so I'm not 100 sure what solved the issue for me. I can report that I haven't had the issue happen again and I've been running the printer very hard. to answer your question, that was the correct line to change #define BUFSIZE 4 and i changed it from 4 to 16.