OctoPrint doesn't show a temperature graph for my Creality printer with stock firmware

There are firmware variants shipped with some Creality printers that produce broken temperature reports. In the community we have so far seen two variants that are broken in different ways:

Doubled temperature entries

Your firmware sends temperature reports like this:

TT::27.9327.93 //0.000.00 BB::39.6739.67 //0.000.00 @@::00 BB@@::00

Note that all of the parts of the report are doubled: TT, ::, //, even the values themselves. This breaks with the protocol.

Printers currently known to possibly ship with affected firmware are

• Creality Ender 3 v2
  • Creality CR-6 SE
    • A firmware update is available to fix this issue.
  • Creality Ender 3 Pro
  • Creality Ender 5 Pro
  • Creality Ender 6
  • Creality Ender 7

There might be more.

To work around this issue and make the temperature report parseable again for OctoPrint, install this plugin using the plugin manager:

:point_right: Before you go

If your printer shipped with this broken piece of firmware, please scream at your printer vendor to fix their product. Issues like this take up a ton of resources in support that are then directly lacking for maintaining and improving OctoPrint for everyone. Vendors should not get away with putting out faulty products and then basically abandoning them and having the Open Source Community fix them for them for free.

Errant double equals characters

Your firmware sends temperature reports like this:

==T:145.66 /210.00 ==B:60.15 /60.00 @:127 B@:0

Note the leading == before T and B that don't belong there and break protocol.

Printers currently known to possible ship with affected firmware are

• Creality CR-10S Pro
  • Creality CR-X

There might be more.

To work around this issue and make the temperature report parseable again for OctoPrint, install this plugin using the plugin manager:

:point_right: Before you go

If your printer shipped with this broken piece of firmware, please scream at your printer vendor to fix their product. Issues like this take up a ton of resources in support that are then directly lacking for maintaining and improving OctoPrint for everyone. Vendors should not get away with putting out faulty products and then basically abandoning them and having the Open Source Community fix them for them for free.

13 Likes

Also seems to happen on some Creality CR-6 SE printers ^

Yeah, already edited in this morning.

Brainfart - looked at the wrong part of the post. You're quick! :wink:

Now also happens for newly produced regular Ender 3 Pro's, as they too are being shipped with the new main board.

:woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

Also happens with my new Ender 5 Pro, the QC dates say June 2020. Will add it to the list above.

Its has also effected my ender 3. Also how do i get rid of the octoprint " Warning: Firmware Broken
message?

1 Like

When you install one of the 'fix' plugins, it should go away. At least it does with the 2x temp fix plugin, not sure about the other.

Reporting has been disabled for the other, as the plugin does not make the message go away last I checked.

1 Like

This has been fixed with the last firmware update for the CR-6 SE. 2.0.1.3 listed on their site.

The voltage over USB is a hardware issues still - and end users NEED to cut the red wire, tape or somehow otherwise correct for this, it will burn up RaspberryPi's and computers otherwise.
2 Likes

My CR6SE has been sitting in its box since it arrived in October, finally got around to unboxing and building OctoPi on a Pi4 2GB, it too complained about firmware on first connection. Upgrading is a two step process: Flash the mainboard, flash the display firmware. The instructions as provided by Creality are incorrect - on flashing the display mine went blank after about five lines, tried several times and then gave up. On reassembly, all was fine, Language selection sorted. Forgot the +V isolator on the USB line, but that's in place now. Temperature in Terminal monitor looks ok, just about to start first print. Pi is powered from buck convertor, next project is a control box with a relay to drop the 24V to the mainboard without pulling the plug on the mains.

Same with the BTT alternative board for the CR6 SE, as they're currently using the Creality firmware version 1.0.3.6 sources as their base (Creality haven't published latest sources and don't do GitHub, but I think we'll need the screaming hordes who brigaded the CR-30 KS to quieten down before the balance of power within Creality might shift back to publishing their source code).
I proposed a fix to BTT, although they've not picked it up as yet.

1 Like

This effects the Ender 6 as well. Just got one and put it together and got the double temp. entries. The plug-in fixed it. The firmware on the Ender 6 is 1.0.4 which I believe is the latest for that machine.

1 Like
 Good morning, I have the Creality Temperature fix installed on my Octoprint for my Ender 5 Pro. Octoprint is still giving me the warning the my firmware is broken. 
 Everything else is working fine, it prints normally, Octolapse works, just having the error message popped up in the upper left corner is kinda annoying. 
 Will go through my other plugins to see if one of them is conflicting with the Temp fix plugin. Does anyone have any ideas or known conflicting plugins so I can focus my search?  

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

Hi, I have a new Ender-5 Pro with Creality 32-bits 4.2.2 board and the latest firmware from Creality. Please note that I've installed the firmware "endstop.bin" from 17 oct. 2020 since the newer firmware from 14 nov. 2020 is for BLTouch. I have installed the plugin, restarted octoprint and printer and sadly I still have the issue of the 2X temperature.

Please describe 'still have the issue'. The 2x temperature reporting can only be fixed by not using creality firmware. You will notice you now have a temperature graph available. It doesn't rewrite the serial connection.

This post says the work around is to intall the plugin available following the link "Creality 2x temperature reporting fix". From my understanding it's for users WITH Creality firmware and board. No?

Yes, but it fixes the temperature reports coming from the printer in that way, that the temperatures can be shown in the temperature graph.
It does not fix the printer firmware.

2 Likes

Ok I see! So, it's normal that after the installation of the plugin I still see the double temperature issue in the terminal. The plugin only fixes the temp graph. Thank you and sorry for the confusion.

N.B. Do you know if this double temp issue impacts plugins such as the TP-Link smart plug plugin in which I have set safety temperature threshold for auto turn off of my smart plug if the hotend reaches a certain temp?

1 Like