Printers known to ship with broken or unsafe firmware, or broken electronics

A list of printers with known-to-be-problematic stock firmware or electrical issues, based on years of user reports and fielding support requests.

Please note: This list is not exhaustive. Just because your printer isn't listed here doesn't mean it has safe, well implemented firmware and electronics, it just means nobody has yet tried and added their experiences here. So please test and update accordingly with your results to help others in the future, thanks :slight_smile:

ANET

Anycubic

Creality

:raised_hand: Warning

Considering the sheer amoung of issues observed in this community with Creality stock firmware and electronics, at this point we can only strongly recommend to flash your own Marlin and either apply the 5v pin mod or better yet swap out your printer's controller.

Lulzbot

Malyan

Micro3D:

Monoprice

Qidi

Tronxy

Wanhao

Xinkebot:

1 Like

I bought a new CR-10S Pro V2 that had a grinding noise, one of the cables for the Z stepper was loose, plugged it, problem solved! Still waiting to hear from the seller...

While it already says "probably more (maybe all) models:" under Qidi, I can confirm that that "Fix CBD" plugin has to be installed for the i-mate(s). Otherwise using a USB-TTL cable with rx to tx and tx to rx works great.